Chemistry question for Glen...CFE 223 Powder...

by rob @, Thursday, September 25, 2014, 19:26 (3653 days ago)

Glen, or any one of you who may know, is there any reason to avoid the CFE 223 powder or even reason to pursue it? Supposedly it gives good velocities and works for keeping copper fouling down and is supposed to be fairly accurate. I've also heard that whatever they mix with the powder (maybe some form of tin?) causes it to be a very dirty powder. My main concern is whether there is anything in the powder that might cause erosion or premature barrel wear. I'm using 24.3 grains of h335 right now with Hornady 60 grain SP and it's extremely accurate. I'm about to try the 62 grain Barnes Triple Shock and I'm trying to decide if I should stay with 335 (it sure meters well!), or give Varget a try or possibly the CFE 223 stuff when I start working up the load for the Barnes. All of this is in a 16" AR carbine. I appreciate any input and thank you.

I don't know....

by Glen, Thursday, September 25, 2014, 23:20 (3653 days ago) @ rob

...let me look into it. I do know that tin was added a long time ago and they took it out of their powder formulations because it caused problems, so I suspect that they are going back to something that proved to be a problem, but let me research this one a little bit...

Interesting...

by rob @, Thursday, September 25, 2014, 23:46 (3653 days ago) @ Glen

I'll look forward to your findings and muchas gracias:)

Update

by Glen, Friday, September 26, 2014, 12:36 (3652 days ago) @ rob

I haven't been able to find what the "secret sauce" is that they put in CFE 223, but I am pretty sure that it's not tin. Everything that I've been able to find on CFE 223 raves about how clean it leaves barrels, and the photos I've seen seem to indicate that it produces less throat erosion that standard powders. Looks like good stuff to me.

You will like the TSX on game for sure

by Bob Hatfield @, Friday, September 26, 2014, 16:01 (3652 days ago) @ rob

shot a deer at 195 lasered yards with the 55 grain version. Bang flop with a shot that turned the liver into nothing but clabber. Broke ribs on the way in and on the way out but stopped under the hide on the offside. Lost the slug in the mess. It would have exited if not for the range and the offside rib

Bob

You will like the TSX on game for sure

by rob @, Friday, September 26, 2014, 17:51 (3652 days ago) @ Bob Hatfield

That's definitely impressive performance. The Barnes VorteX load shoots pretty good but not as well as my handload and I think I can improve on the accuracy of the factory load.

Excellent....

by rob @, Friday, September 26, 2014, 17:54 (3652 days ago) @ Glen

Then I think I may just give it a try. Cleaning AR barrels is less than fun! Fun to shoot but certainly not the simplicity of a Ruger #1:) Thank you for your help Glen.

H-335

by Art @, Littleton, Colorado, Friday, September 26, 2014, 19:35 (3652 days ago) @ rob

I have a Ruger M-77 Mark 2 with a laminated wood stock and a Luepold 3x9. I use 25 grains of H-335 and a 55 grain Hornady balistic tip and it will shoot into 3/8 inch benched at 100 yards all day long. First load I tried and never looked further. Can't beat H-335.

P.S. I had an exceptional trigger job done back in the mid 90's when I bought it. Goes about 2 pounds.

by rob @, Friday, September 26, 2014, 22:40 (3652 days ago) @ Art

I'm thinking another rifle in .223 might be nice. Maybe a CZ bolt action with the short barrel and a scope with a more traditional reticle, and higher power!the AR is fine for zombies but a little ..223 ranch rifle would be nice.

by Art @, Littleton, Colorado, Saturday, September 27, 2014, 19:24 (3651 days ago) @ rob

I really enjoy mine. Back when in 1995 when I bought it there was no such firearm like the ranch rifle. Maybe the Model 7 Remington. Not sure why I did not go for it(maybe the price) but I am very happy with the Ruger. Its a great walk around rifle. You mentioned CZ. I have the 452 American in 22 rimfire. I sent a 2X7 Luepold back to the factory to have the paralax set for 22 L.R. and put in a Timney trigger and it is the most accurate rimfire I have ever shot. Many years ago a friend had an Anschuts(spelling?) that was not any more accurate then the CZ. I am sure you would be pleased with it.

I have the 452 American as well...

by rob @, Saturday, September 27, 2014, 20:52 (3651 days ago) @ Art

In .22lr. Accuracy is right! I have a Nikon Monark 4X rimfire scope on mine but I've considered upgrading it to a higher power scope. Sending the Leupold 2-7 in for parallax correction is a great idea and an excellent scope. Kinda why I was thinking a .223 for a big brother might be good:)

Have one as well...

by LAH @, Saturday, September 27, 2014, 21:18 (3651 days ago) @ rob

The above TSX performance

by Bob Hatfield @, Sunday, September 28, 2014, 05:42 (3650 days ago) @ rob

I mentioned was out of a 16 inch barrel loaded to 2850 fps. Also it was loaded to 5.56 Nato specs with H-4895 powder with data from Barnes website.

Bob

I have the 452 American as well...

by Art @, Littleton, Colorado, Sunday, September 28, 2014, 18:22 (3650 days ago) @ rob

By the way Luepold does not charge to do work on their scopes. You do not need to be the original owner either. You just pay for shiping. Great company.

i knew they would warranty anything...

by rob @, Sunday, September 28, 2014, 21:16 (3650 days ago) @ Art

But I did not know they would change the parallax to rimfire distances for free. They definitely are a great company. Whenever I can I try to pick up Leupold scopes gently used.

That is good to know....

by rob @, Sunday, September 28, 2014, 21:18 (3650 days ago) @ Bob Hatfield

Thank you!

RSS Feed of thread