In search of...

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Monday, February 10, 2014, 08:34 (3882 days ago)

What I'd really like to find is a steel buttplate for an 1895 Dutch Mannlicher Carbine. They appear to be unobtanium so I am casting about for something to fit until such day that one turns up.

Does anyone have a military Mauser buttplate and screws laying about? It would be the style that wraps slightly over the comb of the stock and measures about 1-5/8 x 4-5/8...larger is OK as I don't expect a match and I have a pretty good relationship with Mr. Grinder.

Thanks!

In search of...

by Otony, Monday, February 10, 2014, 08:43 (3882 days ago) @ Hoot

Hoot,

I am pretty sure I have a brass SMLE buttplate laying around. Not steel, not Mauser, but if you want it shoot me an address.

Otony

I'll give it a look, Hoot. Very good chance I have one,

by John K., Tuesday, February 11, 2014, 17:16 (3881 days ago) @ Hoot

but I wouldn't bet either way on being able to find same.

Thank you Tony.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Wednesday, February 12, 2014, 06:20 (3880 days ago) @ Otony

Your post reminded me I have an SMLE buttstock tucked in the rafters. It turns out to be a little narrow and maybe a bit short. Whilst digging that out I also "remembered" a 1917 stock which was also a no-go.

I do appreciate the offer!

Thank you John.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Wednesday, February 12, 2014, 06:23 (3880 days ago) @ John K.

I fully understand about being 'able to find same'. I think I remember once, a very long time ago, when my shop was organized and somewhat open. :-|

This?

by John K., Wednesday, February 12, 2014, 11:33 (3880 days ago) @ Hoot

This one came off an early '98, IIRC. Matches your dimensions and top is bent slightly inward right at the upper screw hole. Cleaned off the protective crust in a blast cabinet just to make sure it was serviceable and then dunked it in tool black. Does have some pitting on the back side where it was touching wood, but that shouldn't be an issue unless you need to grind a lot off. Found the screws also.

[image]

Perzactly!

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Wednesday, February 12, 2014, 13:49 (3880 days ago) @ John K.

Now, if you could grind the outside to fit my rifle, I'd be nearly done! :-P

That would work very well. Please let me know what you want to get it in my hands.

For that matter, if you're headed to CSA, we can arrange a hand-off. It's really no rush.

Thanks!

Don't know if I will make CSA yet. Be glad to mail it

by John K. @, Wednesday, February 12, 2014, 14:46 (3880 days ago) @ Hoot

Email a shipping address and it will be on the way.

No charge, it has been in my mauser junk pile since around 1990. Made several minimal rough duty hunting rifles back then, mostly chambered in '06 with cut down stocks, short replacement barrels, re-welded bolt handles and D&T for scope mounts.

Every one of those beaters is still in use today by the original owners.

Tried the e-mail widget-thingy.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Thursday, February 13, 2014, 05:52 (3879 days ago) @ John K.

Holler if it didn't make it.

Thank you!

Received and replied. Will go out tomorrow.

by John K, Thursday, February 13, 2014, 17:14 (3879 days ago) @ Hoot

Thanks John.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Friday, February 14, 2014, 09:36 (3878 days ago) @ John K

RSS Feed of thread