OK, I'm impressed

by Catoosa, Friday, August 17, 2012, 22:20 (4292 days ago)

Went into my favorite LGS today to try to order one of the Colt/Umarex/Walther 1911 Government Model .22 autos. Been looking for one since spring, with no luck. David shook his head when I asked if he would order one for me, and said if I wanted one, I could dang well just buy the one "over there in the case". Sure enough, there it was, just what I'd been looking for. So I bought it. David had just gotten it in, and said he was hoping I'd come by before someone else bought it.

Pouring rain when I got home, so I only had time to run 30 rounds through it before dark. No malfs. None. Zero. Never had that happen before with a new-out-of-the-box .22 semiauto. Even ran a mag full of the crappy Remington "Golden Bullet" stuff, half of which sounded like CB loads, with no problem. Shot to point of aim, too.

All you 'leven lovers out there oughta gitchee one o' these things.

OK, I'm impressed

by Otony, Friday, August 17, 2012, 22:45 (4292 days ago) @ Catoosa

Been looking hard at the Rock Island XT22 instead. All steel, and it uses a true 1911 frame.

May or may not be as good as the Umarex, but it has captured my interest. When a deal happens along, I am throwing down the ducats, regardless of what I wrote to fatboy earlier tonight about curbing my gun buying! :-D

Otony

OK, I'm impressed

by Catoosa, Friday, August 17, 2012, 22:55 (4292 days ago) @ Otony

Yeah, I thought I had curbed mine too, but things just keep comin' up...

Curbing the gun buying...

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Saturday, August 18, 2012, 11:55 (4291 days ago) @ Otony

Thanks for the report on the Colt gun. We've had all the 1911 type .22 guns through the shop and it is useful to have some knowledge of how they actually perform.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

More...

by Catoosa, Saturday, August 18, 2012, 20:23 (4291 days ago) @ Hobie

Hobie, this is the first "modern" .22 autoloader I have shooting experience with. I basically hate the FEEL of zinc-alloy parts. I like my guns made of polished and blued steel. This thing looks and feels like a toy gun. That's why I am so astonished at how it performs. So far it has eaten through everything I can find in the ammo cabinet. I had ONE malfunction today out of 50 rounds of that crappy Remington 'Golden Bullet' hollow point that refuses to work in even my Ruger auto. The one malf was a failure to eject that left the empty case in the chamber. the hammer was on the half-cock notch, so obviously the round was so weak it only ran the slide back a half inch or so. For a new gun to work even MOST of the time with POS ammo like that almost spooks me.

Next time out I'm going to try some old Winchester Wildcat that has unplated waxed lead bullets. If that don't choke it, I give up.

RSS Feed of thread