Pocket 9's: what's y'r choice...and reasons therefore?

by John Meeker, Friday, August 10, 2012, 09:27 (4300 days ago)

Been CCW and 'house duty' thinking, and shopping. Always have carried a 'J' as everywhere-gun. However, the new Nine's, esp with a tiny laser, seem to have some advantages. Flat, adequate ammo, compact under bbl 'beam',etc.

Would be interesting to hear your story on them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rec'd the Ruger .45 Colt 5.5" stainless steel Flat-top revolver. Nicely made, and have stag to hand for grips to replace the plastic-ivory. The Rock River 'Coyote' AR15 is a HUMMER! Was popping golf balls on a mudbank at 130 yards from an impromptu rest. My spotter said I was crushing about every other one, and with cheap discount ammo, too. Getting some 'Varminator' .223 for critters.~

I'd still opt for a J over a 9mm;they carry and hide better

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Friday, August 10, 2012, 10:11 (4299 days ago) @ John Meeker

BUT, I do like this little S&W Shield-crisp let off on the trigger flat as a book and decent sights. My LC9 has a looooong mushy trigger (bought for holster building, it stays in the safe. SIG290 are top heavy, ungainly feeling guns and the same for the Nano. Springfield's XDs is a 45ACP the same size as a nano or Shield very bumpy surface...

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

I like my Diamondback DB9, but a lot of folks don't...

by Boge Quinn, Friday, August 10, 2012, 12:20 (4299 days ago) @ John Meeker

http://www.gunblast.com/Diamondback-DB9.htm

I've heard many reliability horror stories with the DB9, but mine has never bobbled once. It would be my daily carry piece if I could get a Crimson Trace laser for it. My daily carry piece is a CT-equipped LCP - I often carry something else as well, depending on situation and wardrobe, but that LCP is always there.

Still, I do often carry a J-frame, usually my S&W 340 M&P.
http://www.gunblast.com/SW-340MP.htm

depends on how many bulges you already have

by stonewalrus, Friday, August 10, 2012, 13:04 (4299 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I can conceal an auto better. I'd go with the Shield. My M&P compact works in oversized pockets. I think the shield would be ideal.

by Remington40x @, SE PA, Friday, August 10, 2012, 13:55 (4299 days ago) @ John Meeker

Just answered that question yesterday - bought a Sig Sauer P938 Extreme. Of all the various 9mms and .380s I handled, this was the one that felt best and seemed to provide the most oomph for the least weight and bulk. Not cheap, but I think it was worth the price. Plus, I've owned 1911 style semi-autos most of my adult life and that particular manual of arms is quite familiar, a plus in my opinion.

I did look at the Diamondback before committing to the P938, but I didn't like the sights and was put off a bit by the mixed reputation. Mr. Quinn's success with them is encouraging, though.

I'm way out of touch

by bj @, Friday, August 10, 2012, 20:23 (4299 days ago) @ John Meeker

I would be thinking Kahr, or for a lower budget KelTec.

Keltec.........

by Byron, Saturday, August 11, 2012, 11:53 (4298 days ago) @ bj

[image]

This is not a bad way to go...13 rounds...quite compact...simple...point and start pulling the trigger as fast as you can....

Compact self defense pistols should not be confused with a service sidearm.

Byron

by Warhawk, Hot Springs, Arkansas, Saturday, August 11, 2012, 19:47 (4298 days ago) @ John Meeker

I have a 9mm Shield, but find that an airweight J frame is still easier to pocket carry.

RSS Feed of thread