What's the Correct Height for a Reloading Bench?

by Remington40x @, SE PA, Wednesday, August 08, 2012, 13:08 (4301 days ago)

I'm building two reloading benches for the new house and am trying to decide how tall the bench top should be. With the materials I have, the max height would be 48", but I'm wondering if they should be somewhat shorter, like 42". You can always cut it shorter but you cannot cut it longer.

What say those of you who have more experience with this than I?

Thanks.

Rem

Sitting on stool/standing, sitting on chair?

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Wednesday, August 08, 2012, 13:14 (4301 days ago) @ Remington40x

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Sitting on stool/standing, sitting on chair?

by Remington40x @, SE PA, Wednesday, August 08, 2012, 14:02 (4301 days ago) @ Hobie

Standing. I've always reloaded on my feet. Have no idea why, just never did it sitting down.

I sit, on a chair. Ok, so the NRMA plans call for 42" legs

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Wednesday, August 08, 2012, 14:42 (4301 days ago) @ Remington40x

for standing use.

http://www.shotgunsportsmagazine.com/downloads/bench_plans.pdf

I have to go by what they say because I have no practical experience. The gunsmith's work bench at work is for standing, but that is practical as such work is most often done standing (despite one televised gunsmith's inability to stand, even at his lathe). I believe those are 42" legs but I'm not sure. It is comfortable for me to work at and I am 5' 8" tall.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

I sit, on a chair. Ok, so the NRMA plans call for 42" legs

by Remington40x @, SE PA, Thursday, August 09, 2012, 09:44 (4301 days ago) @ Hobie

Thanks. They're great plans. I really appreciate the link to them.

I built my bench at 36"

by woody, Wednesday, August 08, 2012, 15:13 (4301 days ago) @ Remington40x

I stand to reload also. And built my bench at 36". I'm 5'7" tall and it works fine for me. I have a stool that I sometimes usewhen loading volume on the 650. Might make them alittle shorter if I had to do it again. I have a few Dillons, a single stage Pacific and a Hornady 366 shotgun press mounted. All work good for me. One thing to keep in mind is to build them very solid/anchored so you have no movement and it does not flex with pressure etc. I used 3/4" plywood for my surface.

Top of mine is at 38".

by Kentucky, Wednesday, August 08, 2012, 18:22 (4301 days ago) @ Remington40x

I usually stand, but occasionally sit on a 28" tall stool.

Mine was built on an old 6'-0" sink base/counter with 2x4's secured on top, covered with a sheet of 1/2" plywood glued/screwed in place . . . thus the odd height. Makes for a solid bench, though. I load with a 'Chucker and it doesn't move around.

I built mine 37" high, I stand mostly but sometime set on

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Thursday, August 09, 2012, 07:17 (4301 days ago) @ Remington40x

a tall stool. I read years ago that the bench top should be about where your elbo bends, no higher than that, the forearms above the top of the bench. That's the way I built mine back in '76 and I still use it.

RSS Feed of thread