Primer pockets

by Art @, Littleton, Colorado, Tuesday, July 31, 2012, 19:09 (4295 days ago)

I hate cleaning primer pockets. I always tumble my empties in media then resize and deprime. Then use one of the hand tools to clean out the primer pockets. I have often wondered how necessary this is. Today after after tumbling some empties and then depriming while resizeing I threw them back into the tumbler for awhile and the pockets cleaned up pretty well. I think I will do this from here on out.

I do not resize empties before they are cleaned. Years ago I had a die start spliting cases and I believe that I damaged the carbid ring by resizeing dirty empties. Of course RCBS replaced that die no charge.

How do you guys handel this chore?

Art

I clean, size & deprime, clean primer pocket. There are

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Tuesday, July 31, 2012, 19:43 (4295 days ago) @ Art

many people that do not clean primer pockets for handgun cases. I've been doing it for over 50 years and will continue cleaning the primer pocket on all brass.

I used to then I stopped...haven't looked back.

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Tuesday, July 31, 2012, 20:28 (4295 days ago) @ Art

OK, sometimes I think that Eugene Rockhill will come back from the grave and smack me for being a slacker... Eugen was the WWII vet and retired Barstow narcotics cop that taught me how to reload & cast.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Primer pockets

by bob, Tuesday, July 31, 2012, 20:51 (4295 days ago) @ Art

i tumble mine in reptire bedding, primer pockets come out reasonably clean. for my 'very best' rifle loads i do take an extra minute and clean the pockets, but for range ammo, nope.
bob

Primer pockets

by bob, Tuesday, July 31, 2012, 20:53 (4295 days ago) @ bob

REPTILE! bedding.......

Primer pockets

by Charles, Tuesday, July 31, 2012, 21:15 (4295 days ago) @ Art

There is absolutely no need or benefit to cleaning primer pockets. That said, I always do it on rifle cases. Why..just because, that is why!

I don't clean handgun primer pockets. If I put the cases in a cleaner, I do so after in the fired condition. I then deprime and size and reprime.

I do not like carbide dies!!!!! They oversize cases and I am not a high volume shooter anymore. I use 50s and 60's steel dies and am much happier. Lubing and wiping off the finished round is normal for me.

Slovenly reloading.

by JLF @, Tuesday, July 31, 2012, 23:40 (4295 days ago) @ Art

I reloaded thousands of rounds over maybe 15 years. I never owned a tumbler, and never tumbled a case. Never cleaned a primer pocket. I never bought a round of new brass. I once broke a decapper pin on a rock stuck down in a case.:) I never counted reloads, and only tossed a case when it split. I started with a Lee Loader, a set of dippers and a hammer, and ended with a Dillon. My ammo weren't pretty, but it shot like brand new, and I never had any kind of dud. This is not a recommendation, I'm just happy about all that work I didn't do.:)

JLF

+1 JLF

by Bob Hatfield @, Wednesday, August 01, 2012, 04:50 (4295 days ago) @ JLF

NM

Slovenly reloading.

by Art @, Littleton, Colorado, Wednesday, August 01, 2012, 06:34 (4295 days ago) @ JLF

Interesting. I think I have been too anal with my reloading. Might start backing off a bit with my methods and see how it goes.

Art

Details.

by JLF @, Wednesday, August 01, 2012, 11:57 (4295 days ago) @ Art

I was always very carefull and precise with my actual reloading, especially the charging step, and I was very picky about clean bullet bases. I think that went a long way in preventing all the ways a dud can occur. I also had no interest in max-load wrist snappers, the shortest route to problems. With guys like benchrest shooters, etc. I can certainly understand the desire to eliminate every possible variable. But I did most combat related stuff, plinking, and the occasional bullseye match. My ammo worked fine for my uses.

JLF

Slovenly reloading.

by pokynojoe, Wednesday, August 01, 2012, 07:57 (4295 days ago) @ JLF

Wow, I thought I would be the only "slouch" here. I'm pretty close to mirroring you. With a couple of exceptions. I still only use a single loading press. And, I occasionally, when the brass gets real dirty, mix up a bucket of dishwashing detergent, let 'em soak for awhile, give 'em a quick brush over, and then let 'em dry in the sun. I've never cleaned primer pockets. I once asked some of the "benchresters" at my club if they did this, when the guy chuckled at me, I figured why bother.

Slovenly reloading.

by Bud, Wednesday, August 01, 2012, 09:08 (4295 days ago) @ pokynojoe

High primers in CAS is a killer, so I clean primer pockets on ammo I will be using in that game.

...and you can't draw either! Actually, I was going to ask

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, August 01, 2012, 12:52 (4294 days ago) @ pokynojoe

you if I could trade out some gunleather for one of those slip shod tracing's of yours, for a revolver?
background, I once asked Joe for a outline trace of his S&W 9mm...he sent me a beautifully done blue print. All my AK Pipeline Engineer friends were pleased.

--

I'll give it a "whirl"...

by pokynojoe, Wednesday, August 01, 2012, 19:55 (4294 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Don't really need any gun leather though. I guess if we ever run into each other you can buy me a beer.

They made me "retire" my t-square and engineers scale at work. I was the last hold out. They took away my drafting table and installed a cad program on my computer at work. They said "start using it", I said "I don't know how", they said "learn"! I now know just enough to be dangerous.

What do you have in mind?

Joe

A S&W Da revolr would be great

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, August 01, 2012, 23:29 (4294 days ago) @ pokynojoe

or just about anything that crosses your mind.

--

No special primer pocket efforts

by Kentucky, Wednesday, August 01, 2012, 09:16 (4295 days ago) @ Art

I set up a dedicated deprime-only die in a little cheapo LEE press. Immediately after shooting, I deprime the cases and throw them into the tumbler with crushed walnut shells. When they come out of the tumbler, the primer pockets are as clean as I need them to be. I then run the cases thru my carbide sizing die and the depriming pin in this die removes any little bit of tumbling media stuck in the flash holes.

This procedure allows me to run only clean cases thru my sizing dies. Been doing it this way for many, many years and I'm quite happy with the results.

JMHO of course. YMMV

:-)

No special primer pocket efforts

by Art @, Littleton, Colorado, Wednesday, August 01, 2012, 18:56 (4294 days ago) @ Kentucky

Is this deprime only die caliber specific? If it is not I think I will try it out. I wouldn't want to buy four more dies.

Art

Nope, one size fits all.

by Kentucky, Wednesday, August 01, 2012, 20:06 (4294 days ago) @ Art

They are available from most of the die manufacturers.

You don't have to have a dedicated press for it, but it sure makes it handy if you have the space available.

This is the press I use for decapping

by Kentucky, Wednesday, August 01, 2012, 20:16 (4294 days ago) @ Kentucky

http://leeprecision.com/reloader-press.html

You occasionally see then used at gun shows for like ten bucks.

Primer pockets

by Mark, Wednesday, August 01, 2012, 14:56 (4294 days ago) @ Art

I don't clean primer pockets. I tumble my brass with the spent primer still in the pocket for about 15-20 minutes (anymore time just makes the brass look nicer). Then I size and decap all in the same motion. The primer seats when the handle goes forward. There no time to clean the pocket in that procedure!
Mark

Little of this a little of that...........

by Byron, Wednesday, August 01, 2012, 19:34 (4294 days ago) @ Art

Most of my shooting that involves reloading is 5.56mm, 7.62mm, 9mm and .357. The rifle brass goes to a local guy with the fancy automatic factory line stuff and comes back small base sized, trimmed to length, neck turned, primer pockets cleaned and sized to spec and polished until the case shines like new money...$30 per 1000...good enought for the girls that I go with...a premium product...They used to seat primers, recrimp and seal with red lacquer...just like new...no more...liability in the priming opeation and all....to bad...that was nice....anyway for the price of a couple of double Crowns on ice I save hours of time at the bench...I don't mind reloading...but its kinda like washing dishes...rather someone do it for me....

Fired pistol brass goes into a tumbler for a bit....something between an hour or a week...depends on when I get back down to the barn....then through the 550...looks good...no muss...no fuss....I have been called an equipment operator instead of a reloader...fine....

Byron

I have not cleaned them in 30 years

by Bj2, Wednesday, August 01, 2012, 19:36 (4294 days ago) @ Art

Primer pockets

by Catoosa, Wednesday, August 01, 2012, 19:44 (4294 days ago) @ Art

Art, Lee makes a universal decapping die that works for most everything. I have mine set up in an inexpensive Lee Partner press that I have bolted to a piece of 2x4 and C-clamped to my bench. When it gets all crudded up with primer residue, I unclamp it and take it outside, hose it off with Gunscrubber, then dry, relube it and clamp it back down. Keeps that nasty, abrasive primer residue away from my good presses, and they almost never need cleaning.

BTW, for those who, like me, are anal about clean cases and primer pockets, a short length of the old pencil-type typewriter eraser sticks chucked up in s drill motor makes the best primer pocket cleaner to be had. Trim the wood back just a bit deeper than a primer pocket by using a sharp knife like a lathe turning tool while the eraser stick spins. Leave the rubber part full diameter for large primer pockets, and turn it down a bit for small ones. Needs to be just slightly loose in the pocket or the rubber will twist off as it spins. When you get it right, it's good for several hundred cases before the tip needs to be recut, and it leaves the pockets clean and shiny with just a touch. Only problem is finding the dern eraser sticks - typewriters are about extinct now, and so are the erasers. Might be something similar for the power erasers used by draftsmen.

RSS Feed of thread