Bought a Rossi 92........

by Otony, Monday, July 30, 2012, 16:11 (4296 days ago)
edited by Otony, Monday, July 30, 2012, 17:21

........ever since Rob picked up the one sold here on the board I have been dithering back and forth over finding one for the wife. She claims my Marlin 1894 Cowboy .357 is too durn heavy, so I have had my eyes open for a 16" Rossi in .357 magnumus.

Won an auction for a new stainless 16 incher on GB, shipped for $440. I think it was a good buy, as SS usually brings a premium. More than a used carbine of course, but all the bells and whistles are present.

What are you folks using for a peep on these?

Otony

Neat guns. I like them both

by brionic @, Monday, July 30, 2012, 17:34 (4296 days ago) @ Otony

The 92 is more svelte, for sure.

Are you looking for a tang sight or a barrel sight?

Neat guns. I like them both

by Otony, Monday, July 30, 2012, 19:39 (4296 days ago) @ brionic

I was thinking about something like what stonewalrus recommended, the plug in peep that replaces the safety. Either that or a receiver sight, but I am surprised to discover these are not already D&T for such a sight. Not too interested in sending it off to be drilled/tapped and no locals here that I would trust unfortunately. Guess the Steve's Gunz sight might be it, unless Skinner makes a similar peep.

I would be concerned about SWMBO using a tang peep to be honest, as she isn't really a gun person. Hate to even imagine the possibility of some awkwardness on her part resulting in a gouged face or worse. Plus a tang sight looks correct on a rifle, but on a little Trapper it strikes me as a might odd. YMMV?

Before I bought the Marlin Cowboy I had a regular Marlin 1894 .357, with the round barrel. Had to sell it when I had some legal issues with a family member that brought us to court......sigh. Maybe should have bought another like it but was dazzled by the looks of the Cowboys octagon barrel. Worked out for the best I guess, as now we both have .357 carbines! And she can't complain that little Rossi is too big or heavy.....I hope.

One of my favorites except mine is a blued 20"

by stonewalrus, Monday, July 30, 2012, 18:01 (4296 days ago) @ Otony

I didn't put a peep on it but I did replace the originals - shot way high. If you google Rossi 92 sights there is a guy who specializes in them. He makes a peep that replaces the safety.

here is the website

by stonewalrus, Monday, July 30, 2012, 18:11 (4296 days ago) @ Otony

here is the website

by Otony, Monday, July 30, 2012, 19:42 (4296 days ago) @ stonewalrus

That is what I was thinking of using. Sort of surprised there are not more options considered the popularity of these little poppers.

Just realized this makes six lever actions in the house, all Marlin save for this one.:-)

a Lyman tang sight can be modified to fit

by stonewalrus, Monday, July 30, 2012, 20:27 (4296 days ago) @ Otony
edited by stonewalrus, Monday, July 30, 2012, 20:33

I think it requires drilling and tapping another hole. I think Skinner makes a peep that replaces the rear sight but that didn't interest me. You can mount a red dot with a mount that screws into the holes under the rear sight. I'll probably go that route when I get older.

Steve Young put a FP 94/36 on my Rossi...

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Monday, July 30, 2012, 18:49 (4296 days ago) @ Otony

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Bought a Rossi 92........

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Monday, July 30, 2012, 23:50 (4296 days ago) @ Otony

Nice little carbines. If I ever buy another it will be a .357 Mag.

I haven't chronographed my 357 carbine but from the reaction

by stonewalrus, Tuesday, July 31, 2012, 06:03 (4295 days ago) @ Sarge

Difference on steel plates I am very impressed about the difference between a 4" revolver and a 20" carbine with the same ammo.

RSS Feed of thread