Price Check

by Charles, Saturday, July 28, 2012, 15:21 (4299 days ago)

This morning, a guy handed me a 1976 production Smith and Wesson 4" Mod. 27, in the factory wood box with all the papers and tools. It was blue with TT and TH. It has been fired but was pretty minty.

The guy was told it was a 1959 pistol, but that was bull. He is wanting to trade, but sooner or later he is going to want cash. Anybody have an idea about what this thing would be worth in todays market?

Price Check

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Saturday, July 28, 2012, 17:57 (4299 days ago) @ Charles

Just from a quick cruise around the auction houses, I'd say 850 or thereabouts depending on age and condition. About 1980 BC I was dragging around an old 3 1/2" pre-27 (IIRC) in a Jordan holster- on a River Belt, of course. Sumbuck was checkered all over the topsrap and had a sweet trigger in either mode. My gift for finding outliers was just as good then as it is now, however, and that gun would barely stay in the 9 of a B27 at 50 yards, no matter what you fed it. Bum cylinder perhaps, but it was the only inaccurate N frame that ever crossed my path.

Price Check

by Drago, Sunday, July 29, 2012, 06:25 (4298 days ago) @ Sarge

'Bout that same time I bought a 3 1/2" 27 from a guy at work for $175. Stupid me sold it a few years later for some long forgotten reason that seemed good at the time.

Price Check

by JLF @, Saturday, July 28, 2012, 19:50 (4299 days ago) @ Charles

$650 sleep with a smile.
$750 mas o meno.
$850 retail.
$950 huckleberry collector price. too much.

The 4" barrel is a hot seller, very popular.
The wood box, tools, and papers are worth $75-100 if it is all in decent condition.

JLF

Price Check

by Charles, Saturday, July 28, 2012, 21:53 (4299 days ago) @ Charles

I offered him $500 which was more than he had in it. I will just bide my time and see what happens. I don't need it, but I will buy it if the price is right.

He is dealer, really doesn't know what he is doing. He swapped $900.00 worth of guns (retail) for this pistol and a good Smith Model 66. He has about $700 into both guns.

After you make this deal, can you give me his name?

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Saturday, July 28, 2012, 22:44 (4299 days ago) @ Charles

Sounds like a good guy to know:-D

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Just last weekend...

by Jimmy P., Florida Panhandle, Sunday, July 29, 2012, 07:37 (4298 days ago) @ Charles

...I picked up two 27's at a local gunshow, a 6" nickel and an 8.375" blue, both in very good shape for $500 each.

Somewhat reasonable prices are out there, they're just few and far between.

Jimmy P.

Charles, I have had two from that era and both were

by brionic @, Sunday, July 29, 2012, 21:28 (4298 days ago) @ Charles

terrific.

My current favorite, a .44 SP Clements conversion, is a 1975 M27 and it is a wonderful gun, conversion notwithstanding.

Short cylinder aside, I think they are the nicest post-war N-frames, as a group. The fancy checkering on the top strap and rear sight are classy beyond comparison, and the tapered barrels are just nifty. I've had more trouble with the early to mid-eighties guns than I ever did with 70's N-frames, hype notwithstanding.

You are doing well by offering and waiting, but don't snooze on it.

RSS Feed of thread