Gun Free Movies and Malls

by Art @, Littleton, Colorado, Wednesday, July 25, 2012, 19:06 (4302 days ago)

For quite some time I have thought what would happen if some nut went in to a movie house or a mall and started shooting and there were people who had a CCW but because of the notice on the front door left their weapon in the car and if they had it could have stopped or limited the damage. I wonder what exposure the business has if it can be proven that because of their policy lives were lost. I would think a smart lawyer could make a case.

Art

I think we're going to find out how much it will cost them

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Wednesday, July 25, 2012, 19:19 (4302 days ago) @ Art

in Colorado...

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

I think we're going to find out how much it will cost them

by bob, Wednesday, July 25, 2012, 20:17 (4302 days ago) @ Hobie

as i understand, suits are being formulated now, if not already filed, against the theatre.

by Fivegunner @, LOWELL Mi., Thursday, July 26, 2012, 03:38 (4301 days ago) @ Art

Yep, that was the first thing I thought when I heard about the shooting, if they don`t want you to have the protection that you can sulply, then I would think the burden would be on them.

by bj @, Thursday, July 26, 2012, 22:06 (4301 days ago) @ Fivegunner

I read a long time ago that BOMA (Building Owners and Managers Association International) recommended to their members that they be neutral on the subject, in other words if the state allows carry then they should go along with it. I understood that it was for this same reason.

by Charles, Friday, July 27, 2012, 11:16 (4300 days ago) @ Art

When CHL began to catch on, there were many businesses that put up the No GUNS signs including movie chains. The question was raised then, what the liability would be if a person was hurt or killed in one of those businesses because he/she could not have their legal firearm with them. I don't know if it was ever litigated, but it probably has been.

It has been years since I have seen a business or movie with such a sign in Texas. The only places with signs are the placed where the law says you can't carry, such as hospitals, nursing homes, court houses and the like.

Do we know for certain that movie house in Aurora didn't allow legal guns or are we just talking?

by Art @, Littleton, Colorado, Friday, July 27, 2012, 16:03 (4300 days ago) @ Charles

Yes it is AMC Theaters. They have no guns posted.

Art

by Art @, Littleton, Colorado, Friday, July 27, 2012, 17:29 (4300 days ago) @ Charles
edited by Art, Friday, July 27, 2012, 17:33

Sorry Charles it is Century Theater and they are a gun free zone.

RSS Feed of thread