Really Concealable Pocket Pistols - Seeking Recommendations

by Remington40x @, SE PA, Wednesday, July 25, 2012, 13:00 (4303 days ago)

I'm looking for a "carry all the time" pocket pistol. Nothing smaller in caliber than a .380. Something that will hide even when all I'm wearing is a pair of shorts and a t-shirt.

I currently have a Kahr .40 S&W, the full sized version with the stainless frame, and a Ruger Security Six 4" .357 that I use in the cooler seasons, but neither is as unobtrusive as I'd like and this summer's heat, combined with the recent Colorado shootings, has led me to look for something lighter and more concealable that would be with me all the time.

I've handled the Sig 238, which is attractive to me because of its 1911-type characteristics, and the S&W Bodyguard, which I also liked, particularly because of the laser sight being included. The Ruger LCP seemed a bit too small for my hands and the sights were difficult. Same with the North American Arms Guardian. The Walther PPK seemed as big and heavy as the Kahr. The dealer had a Diamondback DB9, but I've never heard of them, and, again, the sights were quite hard to see (although they apparently make them with night sights, the one in inventory didn't have them). I'm also skeptical about controlling a 12 ounce 9mm.

So, what would you all recommend for the really concealable pocket pistol?

by stonecoldrc, Wednesday, July 25, 2012, 13:45 (4303 days ago) @ Remington40x

I am not an ultimate authority, but I bought a single stack 9mm Kel Tec about a year ago. I have carried it most days since then and have shot 375 rounds through it without a bobble. Pretty accurate for such a little and light gun. I have a 3AT Kel Tec in 380 that I had carried for years without a problem and I just wanted a little more power to ease my mind. Both guns have been shot a lot and have been trouble free. The 9 is much easier to hit with at anything over 5 yards or so due to better sights, longer sight radius, etc. Both work well for personal defense. I also tote a S&W J frame often and occasionally a Kimber 45. This info and 3 dollars will get you a small Starbucks.

That would be a 2" Airwieght J frame

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, July 25, 2012, 14:24 (4303 days ago) @ Remington40x

I don't really care for autos in my pocket but S&W's little M&P Shield would fill that bill great trigger decent sights 9mm. I carry mine in a Versa-Clip holster in side the waistband.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

I use a S&W 642 but a Ruger LCP, Keltec P3AT or Diamondback

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Wednesday, July 25, 2012, 15:04 (4302 days ago) @ Remington40x

380 are all flatter.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Elsie Pea but put a laser on her

by stonewalrus, Wednesday, July 25, 2012, 15:22 (4302 days ago) @ Remington40x

You'll forget you even have her.

by Frank S, Wednesday, July 25, 2012, 17:17 (4302 days ago) @ Remington40x

Having tried a Kel-tec, a S&W hammerless, a NAA mini revolver. I have settled on the Ruger LCP, both my Wife and I carry them ...every day.

by Miles Fortis ⌂ @, CIVITATES AMERICAE, Wednesday, July 25, 2012, 17:50 (4302 days ago) @ Remington40x

I carry a Walther PPS in .40 S&W. They make it in 9mm (got one) too.

Front pocket, in a holster Rob designed for me.
IWB would be easy too.

Wear a square tail shirt, or a baggier T shirt and unless someone knows you're carrying, it won't raise an eyebrow.

Springfield Armory is marketing a single stack XD in .45, very small too.

I had the opportunity to shoot the "perfect" pocket pistol..

by pokynojoe, Wednesday, July 25, 2012, 22:54 (4302 days ago) @ Remington40x

last week. Personally, I have a Mdl. 37 and it's done well, and I like to carry it in my pocket when I can wrestle it away from my wife or daughter. BUT, last week out at my local shoot'in gallery, this young buck shows up with a rohrbaugh r9. He lets me shoot a few magazines through it. I says to myself, "Self this is it, this is what an old man like you needs to stick in his pocket." I decides I have to have one. So I inquire to the young lad, where he got it and how much. Well, my desire was tempered by the fact that the cost of one of these is about a month's pay for me. Needless to say, I won't be buying one anytime soon. However, I know that all you guys on here are "dripping" money, so's that's what I buy if'n I had all ya'lls money!

Seriously though, it's the dandiest little gun I ever did shoot.

by Charles, Thursday, July 26, 2012, 11:22 (4302 days ago) @ Remington40x

I carried a Walter PPK (380) in a Kramer pocket holster for about 13 years on a daily basis. It has started to get heavy so I replaced it with a Ruger LCP (380) in a DeSantis pocket holster. It is truly so light you forget it is there.

I have more serious stuff in the truck and at home within easy reach.

The LCP is a short range gun, but I can roll drink cans at 15 to 20 feet with it and that is all I require. I like it.

I really like my Kahr CM9...

by JD, Western Washington, Thursday, July 26, 2012, 14:41 (4301 days ago) @ Remington40x

The Kahr CM9 is very light, has good sights, and very concealable. Mine has been perfectly reliable and is so easy to carry in a pocket holster in my front pants pocket. The price is very good two...

Cargo shorts and a .44 Spl Bulldog.

by Andrew @, Bloomington, IN, Thursday, July 26, 2012, 22:12 (4301 days ago) @ Remington40x

Finally got to the range to test the LC-9 today.

by mcassill, Thursday, July 26, 2012, 22:47 (4301 days ago) @ Remington40x

Thoroughly serviceable little pistol. Good sights, decent trigger, bigger than an LCP but falls into my pocket well enough. YMMV.

Bond Arms 45 colt-downloaded 454-2.5" or 3" 410

by ERSisk @, Thursday, July 26, 2012, 22:53 (4301 days ago) @ Remington40x

000 buck. A very well built firearm. Maybe a little 'Old School" but it is as much firepower as you can get in that small of a package. Yeah, I know its only two shots but it's two, that's a big hole shots. I practice with it every trip to the range. A small nylon pocket holster helps hide it. Really versatile as far as load selection goes as well. ;-)

by Warhawk, Hot Springs, Arkansas, Friday, July 27, 2012, 23:53 (4300 days ago) @ Remington40x

My deep concealment gun is a S&W 337, an Airlite 38 J frame. I carry it in a Mika pocket holster and you almost forget it's there.

RSS Feed of thread