Ummm...not six-shooter pistol question XD Spring vs G-gggglk

by John Meeker @, After double-actions came on the market?, Tuesday, July 24, 2012, 20:40 (4303 days ago)

nephew in law advise that for the 9MM ported fast-popper I want, that the Springy XD-M is considered to be 'better' than G-guns among match competitors. While this subject prob'ly has engaged the gag reflex among many of you, I have eventual good reasons for wanting such an un-sixgunner Critters.

I have had Glock, a 21, and found it likeable and accurate. However, with some thought to the future, I may well want a solid safety, dayglo sights, mass quantity of ammo, etc.

Nothing cast in money, yet, but having received the Rock River AR w/Leatherwood scope [a beautifully made weapon, BTW], I realize that I'm pretty much out of touch with 21st Century gun requirements..it's as tho I'm wondering exactly why a lever action pistol cal carbine and matching revolver are so antique?

That is, until i take a look around at out societal/politico developments. Then the modern stuff make more sense, and in the meantime I can shoot woodchucks and tincans with the total assurance that I'm up to date in my armory, and that those obsolete guns would shoot tincans and woodchucks anymore, anyway.

At any rate, any one who has an opinion is welcome to sit down, pour their favorite truth serum and have at it.

And yeah, I already want a shorty CAR light weight upper, as a house gun alternative for the target upper. Nothing says 21st Century home security like thirty or forty rounds ready to go, on hip and in hand.

Don't have much of a comparison to Glo.....but I have two

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Tuesday, July 24, 2012, 20:56 (4303 days ago) @ John Meeker

XDM 5.25's, one in 9mm and one in 45 ACP. They are great, I can shoot them better than the 1911's I have been shooting since 1959. They feel great in my hand, point well and are accurate. The one Glo... I did shoot for 50 rounds did not feel anything as good. Just my experience, YMMV

by Andrew @, Bloomington, IN, Tuesday, July 24, 2012, 21:35 (4303 days ago) @ John Meeker

My love for Glocks is in the fact that they have so few parts. Under 30 if I remember correctly. Low bore, put in the 3.5 pound trigger, and practice. The G19 is just perfectly sized for me.

by BobM, Ohio, Tuesday, July 24, 2012, 21:52 (4303 days ago) @ John Meeker

Glock or S&W M&P, HK if you want to spend the money.

I like the XD trigger far better than the glock.

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Tuesday, July 24, 2012, 21:56 (4303 days ago) @ John Meeker

I own several of both.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

by Sarge, Wednesday, July 25, 2012, 00:00 (4303 days ago) @ John Meeker

My experience with XD's is limited to 2004-2005 with Service models; two 40's and a 9mm. I've found practically every Glock I've wrung out to be twice as mechanically accurate than those three XD's were and the Glocks were less picky than the XD's about what they'll feed. If you like SWC's, don't choose an XD. If you'd like to be able to order any and all your parts from the manufacturer- same story.

Maybe the new XD's are much better. I'll never know.

Both of my XDM 5.25's eat SWC, FN and JHP 100%

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Wednesday, July 25, 2012, 14:05 (4302 days ago) @ Sarge

nm

I don't want to pile on about the XDs. Steve but mine have

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, July 25, 2012, 16:03 (4302 days ago) @ Cherokee

fine. The older compact 45 has a great trigger feeds 230 Hornady flat points and HPs and groups along side my Gold Cup...

--

Only telling you what I observed, gents....

by Sarge, Wednesday, July 25, 2012, 17:43 (4302 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

along with the caveats as to year and model. I don't consider disagreeing as 'piling on' either. I do know that MO bullet offers an XD-specific .45 bullet in their IDP #4-XD with the ad copy "FEEDS LIKE BUTTER IN SPRINGFIELD XD" and that Brad probably didn't do this because their 200 grain SWC was feeding to in them.

Boys, I am glad your XD's run and shoot well.

don't sell the Smith M&P short

by stonewalrus, Wednesday, July 25, 2012, 06:22 (4303 days ago) @ John Meeker

Haven't fired an XD but I definitely consider the Smith an improvement over the Glurk.

Gunsite has a pile of 9mm S&W M&Ps as range guns; loaners

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, July 25, 2012, 10:40 (4303 days ago) @ stonewalrus

for their customers to use if their own gun fails during a class. About half the instructors I see there carry Glock 19s...the rest have 1911s. Front Sight gives a 45 XD Service model to each of their students with one of their class packages.
I think it's become like the old .357 mag question: S&W/Colt/Ruger which one do you like?

--

good answers and opinions. will go handle some this week-ene

by John Meeker @, Snoozing on the grips. will rummage grip, Wednesday, July 25, 2012, 21:01 (4302 days ago) @ John Meeker

x

good answers and opinions. will go handle some this week-ene

by Catoosa, Wednesday, July 25, 2012, 22:02 (4302 days ago) @ John Meeker

John, I am a dinosaur - Tyrannosaurus 1911us, to be exact - however after having tried Stonewalrus' S&W M&P 9mm I must say I am impressed plumb out of my socks, The Glurks do nothing for me and the HDs even less, but the M&P is a whole 'nother story.
It's available with a safety and the trigger is short and sweet. By all means check one out.

I've had (lessee) 8 different Glocks

by anachronism, Friday, July 27, 2012, 19:34 (4300 days ago) @ John Meeker

and was unable to find anything to love about them. The worst part was that they all pointed high for me. I realize I could have sent any of them in for a grip reduction, but instead, I sold them off. A few years late I bought my first XD, a 9mm Sub Compact. I've had it for many years now, and it has never failed to put every shot where I intended it to go, and it has done so with zero stoppages. When I needed a long slide 9mm for bowling pins, the choice was easy, a 9mm XD Tactical. It is pure death on pins with 147 grain handloads. Plus, both guns seem to have personalities, something I could never say about a Glock.

RSS Feed of thread