Finished the sight work...

by Sarge, Tuesday, July 24, 2012, 01:23 (4301 days ago)

[image]
[image]
[image]

The front sight finished at 0.174" & I re-profiled it for easy holstering.

[image]

I shoot (or attempt to shoot) one-handed a lot anymore, so checked the final zero in that manner at 30 yards. It’s not the best group I ever shot, but it sure was nice to see it fall where it needed to go.

[image]

More of the same at 50 yards. I started holding a just under the bull, which are the low shots. The promising cluster right under it began to form when I started touching the bull with the front sight. I can see that if I want to cut X’s at 50 yards, I’m going to have to use a center hold.

[image]

Finally, the gun had to meet my expectations for zero and combat accuracy- ‘Minute of Noggin’ at 50 yards from an available rest. Three rounds each of Remington 230 grain Golden Saber and Amscor Precision 230 ball. The latter are marked with two lines and went into just over three inches.

[image]

Full story, complete with gremlins, here for anyone not bored to tears by it already,
http://www.thesixgunjournal.net/staking-a-1911-front-sight/

http://www.thesixgunjournal.net/staking-a-1911-front-sight/

Finished the sight work...

by Fivegunner @, LOWELL Mi., Tuesday, July 24, 2012, 03:38 (4301 days ago) @ Sarge

Look`s good sarge, I just can`t get used to a chrome pistol, I do like the sights you put on it. :-D :-D :-D

That is NOT a chrome pistol!

by Sarge, Wednesday, July 25, 2012, 12:48 (4299 days ago) @ Fivegunner

It's nickel, which has much more character for BBQ's and such. And dammit... wouldn't you know my leopard-skin duster and cowboy hat were out of stock. Must be a seasonal thing. :-D

I've been looking high & low for a set of pink pearlite 1911

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Tuesday, July 24, 2012, 08:41 (4301 days ago) @ Sarge

stocks for that gun:-D Is that a current bumper sticker?
Sheriff Sargent has a nice ring to it.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

LOL on both!!

by Sarge, Tuesday, July 24, 2012, 09:06 (4301 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Pink grips?? I just hope you are not crocheting shoulder rigs again :lol: :lol:

The campaign sticker is from '96 and serves as a reminder that I shouldn't let people talk me into things I really don't want to do. Also learned that when most people ask what you're going to do, they don't really want you to answer honestly ;)

I like those sights. and thanks for walking us through

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Tuesday, July 24, 2012, 10:07 (4300 days ago) @ Sarge

the project. Reinforces my search for older used custom guns.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

The Harrison Retro was a big disappointment...

by sarge, Tuesday, July 24, 2012, 12:57 (4300 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

and I won't recommend them or use them again. Detail in the link, first post.

The Harrison Retro was a big disappointment...

by Drago, Wednesday, July 25, 2012, 02:20 (4300 days ago) @ sarge

I'm sorry to see the Harrison is such a turkey. I am hoping to put together a copy of the original GSP, Gunsite Service Pistol, and the Harrison type is the rear sight used back then.

I wanted to think I just got a bad one...

by Sarge, Wednesday, July 25, 2012, 12:44 (4299 days ago) @ Drago

but the base profile is what it is. I went back into Brownells and pulled my order history, just to make sure I hadn't mistakenly ordered the wrong sight.

Nope- 1911. That issue with the locking screw/wrench finished it for me.

RSS Feed of thread