Tough news from the hospital

by brionic @, Friday, July 20, 2012, 23:13 (4304 days ago)

Dashiell is in Cincinnati, set to begin his final infusion of chemo. The doctor met with Pam to discuss options on the tail end of his treatment, and to coordinate frequency of follow up. Pam said the meeting went well, but she felt a bit odd about it.

Sure enough, a bad result from today's lab work was delivered within minutes after the "exit interview" with the MD - a result indicating recurrence. Rushed into a CT scan, our fears were confirmed - recurrent tumor growth in his liver. Everyone is stunned.

The doctor is suggesting transplant, rather than surgical removal of the nodule or chemo embolization. An MRI tomorrow will help map the growth, and then Monday and Tuesday Dashiell's vitals and functions will be benchmarked again, then a series of grueling interviews for the transplant "vote".

We are crushed, to be plain. This was to be the end of his treatment, the literal last day. It is hard to consider that Dashiell, who has been so excited about finishing chemo and getting back to school, will have to deal with the fear that is inevitable. We will do our best to alleviate his fears and sorrows, and we will be relentlessly positive, but this feels like a crushing blow.

If anyone feels like it, we would be grateful for any good words put in on his behalf.

by AkRay, Saturday, July 21, 2012, 00:28 (4304 days ago) @ brionic

I'm sorry to hear this bad news, Brian. I pray that God will give you and your family the strength to see through this awful time.

OUr prayers continue...

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Saturday, July 21, 2012, 07:54 (4304 days ago) @ brionic

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

by Tom Richardson @, Clarksville, Arkansas, Saturday, July 21, 2012, 09:05 (4303 days ago) @ brionic

Linda and I will continue our prayers for your son and the rest of the family.

Prayers up for a miracle, my friend.

by Sarge, Saturday, July 21, 2012, 09:44 (4303 days ago) @ brionic

OUcH! that is so painful

by stonewalrus, Saturday, July 21, 2012, 11:13 (4303 days ago) @ brionic

You all are in our prayers

Prayers sent, I am so sorry to hear this Brian & Pam.

by Murphy @, Saturday, July 21, 2012, 12:09 (4303 days ago) @ brionic

I wish I could find the words.

Just know that Dashiell and the family will be in my prayers.

Murphy

i hate this, but i still am glad they have found it now and

by cable, Saturday, July 21, 2012, 12:21 (4303 days ago) @ brionic

can do the transplant. i pray that God will look after him and all of you and that he will have a long life and get to do the things he is meant to do in this world. i still will believe that it will happen.

What a rollar coaster this life can be. Prayers continue

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Saturday, July 21, 2012, 13:35 (4303 days ago) @ brionic

for you all.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Sorry to read this, Brian...

by matt/pa @, Saturday, July 21, 2012, 19:17 (4303 days ago) @ brionic

Your son and your entire family are in my thoughts.

Matt/PA

Prayer for all....

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Saturday, July 21, 2012, 20:02 (4303 days ago) @ brionic

nm

Done

by mcassill, Saturday, July 21, 2012, 21:47 (4303 days ago) @ brionic

Prayers Sent....

by Brian A, Sunday, July 22, 2012, 08:44 (4303 days ago) @ brionic

nm

Oh man....

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Sunday, July 22, 2012, 10:28 (4302 days ago) @ brionic

You got it Brian.

That would be hard.... Prayers sent

by JD, Western Washington, Sunday, July 22, 2012, 18:42 (4302 days ago) @ brionic

That would be so hard......

by Catoosa, Sunday, July 22, 2012, 20:15 (4302 days ago) @ brionic

Absolutely, Brian. We will keep you all in our prayers.

Prayers continue for all.

by Mike P @, Monday, July 23, 2012, 06:46 (4302 days ago) @ brionic

RSS Feed of thread