Maxim Silencers - I note that USFA no longer has them

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Monday, July 16, 2012, 21:48 (4311 days ago)
edited by Hobie, Tuesday, July 17, 2012, 08:21

on their web site. I see that those Yankee Hill made had 1/2-28 threads instead of the original 1/2-20 (why? wouldn't most be sold to complete guns with the old adapters?). YHM might have some stock stowed away but apparently (less the tax) these aren't too expensive. Another "but", but if you get one you'd need to re-manufacture them for the correct thread and that requires the MFG license/tax stamp.

On the good side, Boss Man has his special addendum to his FFL and we will now be a "class III" store although, other than the suppressor, I really don't know what I would want in the line of NFA type stuff...

PS - Then, this morning, I get a "newsletter" e-mail from USFA with the Maxim Silent Firearms Company logo at the bottom. It still seems as though this is another item made of unobtainium.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

I like the look of the Maxim. Hobie, do you know how well

by cable, Tuesday, July 17, 2012, 11:10 (4310 days ago) @ Hobie

they worked? i need to get some kind of suppressor someday, just for funsie.

I've never tested them myself but my research shows that

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Tuesday, July 17, 2012, 13:23 (4310 days ago) @ cable

even today they are above average performance. Before now, I've not really gotten excited about buying NFA type stuff because I got to "play" with it at work and it was a REAL pain to acquire and move around the country. The FFL that I work for can now deal in the NFA stuff and so it is relatively easy for me to do. I won't be moving out of state either! So, now that I'm settled and could actually USE a .22 suppressor, I'm interested.

I found a YHM ad this morning that prompts one to request a particular thread but leaves the 1/2-28 as standard. The YHM product doesn't have the same appearance as the original but they are out there.

[image]

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

YHM sells all "AR" stuff..

by cas, Tuesday, July 17, 2012, 14:18 (4310 days ago) @ Hobie

...and 1/2 28 is standard .22 5.56 thread.

Once upon a time it was, for Maxim, 1/2-20...

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Tuesday, July 17, 2012, 18:59 (4310 days ago) @ cas
edited by Hobie, Tuesday, July 17, 2012, 19:06

Just sayin'... I personally would like to "restore" the gun with the can, not simply get a suppressor.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

MAXIM, um, Performance (lol)

by FOG, Tuesday, July 17, 2012, 18:54 (4310 days ago) @ cable

The first suppressor I ever 'fired' was an old Maxim mounted on a High Standard. Ten shots out the bedroom window into a dirt bank. At night. Qualitatively speaking, it sounded about the same as firing a spring-piston air gun.

If the Maxim had (or has) any bugs in the design, the one at the top of my list would probably be takedown. I'm not sure they come apart at all, which would be a non-starter for me, especially with .22 rimfire ammo. Even the 'cleanest' brands are pretty messy and will gum up a can sooner or later.

IMO, the 'best' .22 rimfire suppressors come apart easily and have stainless steel baffles, etc. that will stand up to rigorous cleaning (e.g., bead blasting). For maximum utility, 1/2-28 threads are probably also best.

HTH :-)

--
[image]

Maxim Silencers - I note that USFA no longer has them

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Tuesday, July 17, 2012, 18:24 (4310 days ago) @ Hobie

If you end up getting a .22 can and want to put it on the older rifle (was it a Model 12 Remington?) there are several companies that make thread adaptors. TROS (the riddle of steel) and John Titsworth of the Silencer Store could surely set you up if it's not a standard option. I've got a few adaptors so I can shoot my cans on different guns.

Not sure how tight you are with your shop, but most companies will sell 'dealer samples' of their cans at a good discount. You may be able to talk him into that...

RSS Feed of thread