John Masen 1911 Parts

by Sarge, Monday, July 16, 2012, 10:18 (4311 days ago)

One of the items in last weeks Brownell’s order was a 1911 Auto Checkered Mainspring Housing, part# 555-102-004WB, made by John Masen. I prefer an arched housing and the lack of available bright stainless or nickel is why I ordered it. This is a rough stainless part and I intended to polish out to match the nickel finish. I filed the exterior flats smooth, cleaned up the checkering and polished the works, which entailed about 2 ½ hours. The part didn’t finish out half bad.

My first inclination something was wrong, however, came when the mainspring cap wouldn’t enter the housing. This was fixed with a little deburring. When I discovered that the pin hole was drilled so far off that the mainspring housing pin wouldn’t enter the assembled part through the frame, I got pissed. To eliminate variables, I also tried it in an early 90’s Springfield 1911; same result. So I re-drilled the hole and eventually got the Rock Island assembled. It will do until I can find another replacement.

So now I have a no-account mainspring housing, with about three hours of work in it. It has been heavily modified so I don’t expect an exchange. I’ve been building 1911’s since the late 70’s and this is the first mainspring housing I’ve ever seen that wouldn’t assemble to a frame. It is easily the single worst frame part I’ve ever purchased, but it taught me a valuable lesson. ALWAYS try a part for fit, before finishing it. With everybody and his drunk uncle building 1911’s & aftermarket parts, you literally can’t take anything for granted.

I’m adding a few pics to illustrate the poor fit of the Masen mainspring housing. I actually took quite a bit off the bottom of it during the polishing process and it’s still poking too far out the bottom of the frame- and barely engaging the grip safety at the top. Do yourself a favor guys, and avoid Masen or ITM 1911 parts.

[image]
[image]
[image]

The Greider Precision Trigger, on the other hand, was great

John Masen 1911 Parts - they have been around a long

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Monday, July 16, 2012, 10:57 (4311 days ago) @ Sarge

time and I learned years ago not to buy their parts.

Colt plastic main spring housing & some silver paint?

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, July 16, 2012, 11:32 (4311 days ago) @ Sarge

:-D

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Masen.

by JLF @, Monday, July 16, 2012, 12:20 (4311 days ago) @ Sarge

They are a Metroplex outfit, and I have known son and daughter for years, as they used to work the gun shows. I never met the old man himself. If I've ever bought a Masen part, I don't remember it, and I've never heard pro or con on their reputation. Now I have.:) I remember the early Essex frames, with holes drilled so far out of place that you couldn't assemble a gun with them.

JLF

Is it too long on the other gun too?

by cas, Monday, July 16, 2012, 21:42 (4310 days ago) @ Sarge

My STI Spartan is a tad short at the bottom. Could be a Pilipino thing. :-D

Sorry... asleep at the switch here

by Sarge, Wednesday, July 18, 2012, 16:56 (4309 days ago) @ cas

It wouldn't fit (pin wouldn't align with frame holes) either gun and I didn't try it in the old Springfield after re-drilling it.

John Masen 1911 Parts

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Tuesday, July 17, 2012, 18:07 (4310 days ago) @ Sarge

I prefer flat MSH's so I may have an arched one off the latest stainless Colt. It would be serrated rather than checkered but I bet it would work and it's yours if I have one.

Doug K

John Masen 1911 Parts

by Sarge, Tuesday, July 17, 2012, 19:42 (4310 days ago) @ Slow Hand

Thanks Amigo, I'd be glad to square up with you if you have it.

RSS Feed of thread