It's an ugly monstrosity... but I kind of liked it.

by AaronB, Wednesday, July 11, 2012, 15:33 (4318 days ago)

A new friend of mine has quite a few long guns, but only one handgun... and because he doesn't know any better, that handgun is a Hi-Point .45 ACP. He showed it to me. It's a pure blowback design, with a slide as heavy as a brick. It was approximately the same size and shape as the full-sized Glock .45, and absolutely graceless.

But you know... the thing looked like it would work, and he got it for under $200 brand new. He had shot it, and said he could keep it on target well enough. I have better weapons so I don't particularly crave that one, but that's a lot of utility for under two bills.

-AaronB (things that make you say 'hmmmm')

by uncowboy, Wednesday, July 11, 2012, 15:44 (4318 days ago) @ AaronB

Verry ugly but they do work. I know people that wanted them for motorcycle trips so they could have a gun with them but if it was stolen it was no great loss. Handled many thought about trying one but never bought one. J.Michael

Life is too short for such.......

by Byron, Wednesday, July 11, 2012, 19:56 (4318 days ago) @ AaronB

Decent used guns of know quality are readily available at this price point....

I will admit without apology that they make me feel just a little bit dirty to touch one....

Byron

HAHAHAHA!... me too.

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, July 11, 2012, 20:13 (4318 days ago) @ Byron

Too many good used guns around. I saw them in AK used as boat guns- to dispatch halibut and such...I liked my harpoon.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

by Fivegunner @, LOWELL Mi., Thursday, July 12, 2012, 04:09 (4317 days ago) @ AaronB

I have the same thoughts as Byron, I had a friend looking for and hangun, so I took him to a my pusher , and the dealer friend, had a used High Point 9mm, and he gave the gun to my friend for 35.00. !! man it was ulgy. anyway I guess the gun shoots ok but the mags keep spliting apart and throwing the little 9mm bullets all over! . If I was hard up for a gun that I might need to save my life and had no money I would try to get a loan to get a used ,but good working revolver I have seen them out there pertty cheap. but if your just looking for something to play with go right ahead. just my 2 cents

Family shame.....

by Sarge, Thursday, July 12, 2012, 06:46 (4317 days ago) @ Fivegunner

Mom & Dad's 'other two boys' got on a HiPoint kick a few years ago and I guess between them, they had about every one they make.

Of course I got the inevitable "Can you do anything with the trigger on these?" calls. My answer was "Yes, but it involves a cutting torch."

They beat nothing but they are clubby as hell. I'd rather rebuild a pawn-shop Charter for the same money and at least have something I could carry anywhere= and get into action quickly.

Had a friend that had one and he liked it, except for the

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Thursday, July 12, 2012, 13:07 (4317 days ago) @ AaronB

trigger. He used it for shooting pins and was good with it. I shot it a few times and it was OK, but UGLY...He finally got a good 1911 and is much happier.

by RangerBob, Thursday, July 12, 2012, 17:47 (4317 days ago) @ AaronB

by RangerBob, Thursday, July 12, 2012, 17:49 (4317 days ago) @ AaronB

by RangerBob, Thursday, July 12, 2012, 17:51 (4317 days ago) @ AaronB

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Friday, July 13, 2012, 20:32 (4316 days ago) @ AaronB

I had a 9mm carbine for awhile. I was in a local shop and the owner asked me if I was interested in a cheap 9mm carbine. I was hoping for a good deal on a Marlin Camp 9. He pulled the ugly monstrosity out. I said I wouldne pay more than $20 for something like that, to which he replied "sold!"

I shot it a little bit to make sure it would function. Then I shipped it across the state line to the factory in Ohio. A few weeks back, I reciever basically a new carbine sitting on my back porch, complete with two new mags, a sling and a scope mount. It shot just fine but kicked me in the cheek every shot. I was more of a fan of my SUB2000's so I ended up selling it off for a 10x profit.Hard to beat a deal like that!

RSS Feed of thread