Marlin 1894 in .44 Mag keyholeing

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Wednesday, July 11, 2012, 10:08 (4318 days ago)

A buddy called up the other day. He was out trying some of his reloads (he's very much a newbie) and wasn't hitting a fairly large sheet of cardboard at 25 yards. Moving much closer, he started punching holes in random locations.......very much sideways.

He was using a commercial 200gr LRNFP which double-checked at .430" diameter, which was what he bought...so that's good. The bore is "clean enough" meaning, not smooth with lead or inhabited by small critters---a small amount of powder residue/whatnot a fella might expect upon looking into a fired gun.

My assumption is that the Micro-Groove rifling doesn't like that bullet design. To test that theory, he's going to load up some jacketed fodder and see what difference that makes. Assuming this works, he'll either stick with jackets or we may try out some other designs.

Any other theories?

Thanks as always.

by cubrock, Wednesday, July 11, 2012, 10:38 (4318 days ago) @ Hoot

I would guess it has to do with the Micro-groove not stabilizing that design and/or weight. I've had that happen before with Marlins - abysmal accuracy with one weight/style bullet, then superb with another, all due to the fussiness of Micro-groove rifling.

I would suggest a longer bullet or as mentioned something

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, July 11, 2012, 10:49 (4318 days ago) @ cubrock

with a jacket. I shot a bunch of 240 LSWC through a couple marlin 44.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

by Jared, Wednesday, July 11, 2012, 12:23 (4317 days ago) @ Hoot

Most Marlin .44s have oversized bores. Mine really likes bullets sized .432+. The accuracy is only so so with .430" bullets.

Correct. Best bet to size to .432 in Marlins.

by BCodd, Wednesday, July 11, 2012, 14:30 (4317 days ago) @ Jared

Check with Jim at Carolina Cast Bullets for his hard cast RanchDog-designed bullets, designed and sized specifically for the Marlin .44. Good guy to deal with.

Thanks fellas! Passed on your comments.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Friday, July 13, 2012, 14:24 (4315 days ago) @ Hoot

We'll see what comes of it.

RSS Feed of thread