So we're out walking our new Brittany last night

by BCodd, By the river, Sunday, July 08, 2012, 12:51 (4321 days ago)

It's been hot and humid here - it was 11PM before temps dipped below 90*, so at that point the older boys and I decided to walk the pooch along the Iowa river. She is a hunting fool, and is on anything that moves or stinks. At that hour, in this area, at this time of year, the woods and bottoms are alive with all manner of varmints and vermin, and she wants all of them.

We make our way along a stretch of the University, which is well lighted... and is part of the Art campus. Perhaps you suspect where this is going already.

We decide to loop back by crossing a pedestrian bridge over the river. About 50 meters in, I notice a well dressed young fellow breaking toward us. As he gets closer, he starts waving his arms, so I call the boys and dog back to me and "scratch my belly" on the strong side...

As he gets closer, he starts to babble "Hey! Hey! I've got to tell you... watch out... be careful---" What? WHAT?

"Watch out on the other side... it's it's it's a big raccoon!"

I didn't mean to, but I laughed in his face. We thanked him for the tip and made our way across, where the pooch happily treed the raccoon in short order. There was great rejoicing.

Well, at least he didn't try to pet it

by stonewalrus, Sunday, July 08, 2012, 13:04 (4321 days ago) @ BCodd

Nm

thank god Brian,

by MR, Sunday, July 08, 2012, 19:20 (4321 days ago) @ BCodd

If it had been a bobcat it might have eaten you all.

We had a "Mountain Lion" scare here last year

by BCodd, Sunday, July 08, 2012, 20:22 (4321 days ago) @ MR

Sighted by one of the overnight Walgreens guys, down by the creek, casually walking toward our kids' school.
Of course he was reliable, being bleary eyed and all, and naturally, cougars stroll down the middle of the street.

Never the less, the local fishwrap went into overdrive with harrowing stories of dangerous encounters with fearsome beasts AND admonishments about the tragedy of depredation.

And, predictably, the DNR denies the presence of cougars, wolves, and bears in IA.

Raccoon we have, though. Watch out!

Dangerous wildlife

by Catoosa, Sunday, July 08, 2012, 20:18 (4321 days ago) @ BCodd

I just looked, and yep, they're still there - the four little fang marks on the inside of my right elbow. Getting pretty faint after almost 60 years. Herbie was my buddy for years, and the Tennessee state record raccoon at one time(49 pounds). But I scared him one time, and he nailed me good.

As soon as he caught my scent and realized it was me, he ran back into his "den" and wouldn't come out or eat anything for almost a week. I finally got in the cage, coaxed him out, and petted him so he knew I wasn't mad at him. He was OK from then on.

The jackasses at TWRA finally decided that since my aunt and uncle didn't have a "licensed zoo", they were not to be allowed to keep Herbie. So TWRA took him and put him in their animal exhibit. He didn't live a month.

We have an abundance of them in "our woods"

by BCodd, Sunday, July 08, 2012, 20:39 (4321 days ago) @ Catoosa

We live in an oak grove abutting a deep, wide ravine - plenty of crows, hawks, owls, foxes, groundhogs, squirrels of all sorts, deer, and other stuff. No turkeys, though.

But the raccoons - there are several boars and a female with youngsters - are the only animals bold enough to come up to the house and look in through the windows at us.

Were it not for our proximity to the University, meddlesome animals would be dealt with via John K's tiered approach, but unfortunately it isn't an option here in the liberal-est bastion of the region.

Enter the dog. Raccoons, say hello to my leetle freng. Raccoon issue solved on night #2, con gusto.

Offending black squirrels and pesky chipmunks, you are next.

We have an abundance of them in "our woods"

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Monday, July 09, 2012, 11:25 (4320 days ago) @ BCodd

Just add another 'S' to the three S's.

Suppressed Shoot, Shovel, & Shut-up!

RSS Feed of thread