Getting rough around here

by Catoosa, Friday, July 06, 2012, 20:19 (4323 days ago)

Middle Tennessee is pretty much tinder dry. Grass/brush fires everywhere. Had one today down in the south end of the county that burned several fields, a house, barn, and several other buildings.

Our place has about a mile of road frontage, and a tossed cigarette butt almost anywhere could light things off. It takes the Civil Defense guys about 15-20 minutes to get to this corner of the county from town, and that's about twice as long as the "golden 10 minutes" that it takes for a little fire to become a big one. So, I have put together a 100 gallon tank-and-pump unit and mounted it in the back of my pickup, with 150 feet of hose on a reel. If something gets started, I will at least be able to get some water on it until WEMA gets here.

We got about 2 tenths of rain a couple of hours ago, but by midmorning tomorrow that will be gone.

Try cutting a fire break along the road

by BCodd, Friday, July 06, 2012, 21:36 (4323 days ago) @ Catoosa

Take all the vegetation down to the earth along the frontage. It may not be feasible, and it may not be a guarantee, but it might limit the chances of a calamity.

getchee some foam.

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Friday, July 06, 2012, 23:20 (4323 days ago) @ Catoosa

getchee some foam.

by Catoosa, Saturday, July 07, 2012, 10:37 (4322 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Hadn't seen that stuff before. Thanks, Rob. Might oughta get a hose kit.

Area near the house is mowed close, but a lot of the rest is wooded and rocky. Cutting a firebreak would involve a bulldozer - a BIG one.

RSS Feed of thread