Land Hurricane

by Bob Hatfield @, Friday, July 06, 2012, 05:11 (4323 days ago)

Big windstorm with 75 MPH winds came through southern WV along with half dozen other states last Friday. Power company officicals state that the mess with the power lines is worse than Katrina.

Hooked up my little 1986 model Yamaha 600 watt generator. Connected the refridgerator to it and it bogged out LOL. Sort of new it would. So I grab the old Homelite (USA made) generator (looks like a tiller motor with a generator bolted to the end of it) and it took on the fridge and a small freezer OK as it was a 2500 watt.

This has sort of been like a bad camping trip. Heat was in the 90's. That made it too hot to mess with guns or reloading. Poor little woman has naturally curly hair and as much as I love her the whining about the heat and water gettig low was admittedly starting to get to me.

Then there was sleeping arrangements. Too hot upstairs. Slept on the floor on the couch cushions with the doors open (elsie P nearby along with more firepower. Started getting a whiff of something dead. After a few days it was unbearable. Had to find the source. Dead Opossum under the porch. Carbon monoxide probably from the generator. Maggot ridden carcass was burned quickly

Unbored myself reading and playing with an ammeter curious as the the current draw of each device. The fridge and the freezer pull 3.4 amps while idling. THe inrush when starting is much more. When I plug in a Keurig coffee maker it jumps to 12.5 amps while heating the water. Wifes 1800 watt hair drier well that thing is close to 15 amps itself.

Got tired of playing with the ammeter and reloaded ammunition and tuned some on a flintlock.

Watching people at a local supermarket reminded me as to how people are not prepared for these weather events. I could get along just fine myself. I would load up the truck and head for the highlands where its cool and be on a real camping trip. No wife though. Couldnt take enough cheese to go with the Whine.

Lord this air conditioning feels good

Bob

I hear you Bob. Many of us experienced much the same thing

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Friday, July 06, 2012, 07:05 (4323 days ago) @ Bob Hatfield

even without the generators...

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

We went through similar thing here in Ohio where it

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Friday, July 06, 2012, 07:55 (4323 days ago) @ Bob Hatfield

sewp through before moving to WV. My 20kw backup generator did not start and I could not get it to start manually. Similar situation with the love of my life. No tree loss this time. I'm still waiting on the tech to show up to find out what is wrong with the generator but we did get electric back in 8 hours. I primed brass by the light of the gas lamp.

My power

by Creeker @, Hardwoods, Friday, July 06, 2012, 17:40 (4323 days ago) @ Bob Hatfield

was only off 'bout 7 hours. Yes I'm blessed & highly favored.:-)

My power

by Bob Hatfield @, Saturday, July 07, 2012, 04:49 (4322 days ago) @ Creeker

Someone upstairs said to himself "The Creeker needs his power to make some merikan boolits for all of my Sixgunners."

"That Hatfield has been sort of a bad boy lately with all that shooting of ex commie rifles and ex commie boolits".

Saw some of your boolits at Flat Top the other day. I really like the way your 158 SWCs shot in my 38's

How is everything going?

Bob

RSS Feed of thread