114 years ago Today.

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Sunday, July 01, 2012, 18:01 (4319 days ago)
edited by Rob Leahy, Sunday, July 01, 2012, 18:13

http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/roughriders.htm
[image]

The decisive battle of the Spanish-American War, but a costly one. And one that showed how armament technology can make the difference. The American forces carried inferior Krag-Jørgensen* .30 bolt action rifles, and outmoded artillery pieces that could not reach Spanish positions.

The Spaniards were armed with 7 mm Mauser M1893 rifles which were much more effective. And as a result, owning the heights with superior firepower, a Spanish force of less than a thousand men held off a US and Cuban assault of almost 20,000.

Theodore Roosevelt commanded the First United States Volunteer Cavalry, the "Rough Riders". Initially not part of the tactical battle plan, intended to be used as a diversionary force they instead found themselves in the middle of the battle, and realizing their fire could not knock the enemy from position, instead charged Kettle Hill, supported by three Gatling guns.

The Gatlings suppressed a Spanish counter-attack. And the American Army had a hero and a reason to ditch the Krag. The Springfield 1903 would be the American infantryman's rifle until WWII and the M-1 Garand.

The Marines were skeptical. They loved the Springfield that much.

* Using authentic slash through the letter O because a Møøse once bit my sister...
Posted by Dave In Texas at 05:18 PM New Comments Thingy http://ace.mu.nu/

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

114 years ago Today.

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Sunday, July 01, 2012, 19:47 (4319 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Funny to see this, because I'm sitting on the back porch with a copy of 'Colonel Roosevelt' on my lap. I'm only a few pages into it buys intersti g already!

114 years ago Today.

by mcassill, Sunday, July 01, 2012, 23:09 (4319 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Initially Army Ordinance drug their feet on replacing the Krag. That changed when TR became President and took personal interest in the matter - not to mention wholesale cleaning out of the considerable deadwood in Army leadership.
People sometimes forget that there were two regiments charging up Kettle Hill that day. The other, the 10th Cavalry, United States Colored Troops, was at that point being led by a 37-year-old First Lieutenant named Pershing. (In that era serving in the Colored regiments was a career dead-end for most officers). After TR became President "Black Jack's" rise through the ranks was meteoric, and justly so.
Mark

Pershing was the only other General Of The Armies

by Miles, Monday, July 02, 2012, 21:07 (4318 days ago) @ mcassill

besides Washington.

114 years ago Today.

by Charles, Tuesday, July 03, 2012, 10:30 (4317 days ago) @ mcassill

I have had a couple of military historians tell me that Pershing was called "Nigger Jack" first, and that was changed to a more gentle "Black Jack" as he rose in the Army.

RSS Feed of thread