Phil Shoemaker - Bear Advice

by JimT, Texas, Wednesday, April 17, 2024, 06:37 (15 days ago)

I met Phil Shoemaker at The Shootists Holiday. He was bunking in the same housing unit and I had opportunity to talk with him during the week. As others visited with him I got to hear some great stories and listen to his advice.

His story of killing the big bear with a 9mm was really interesting to me. I know it was written about in some gun magazine or other, but to hear the man himself tell the tale is always the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UANI6U-SL4o

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

Phil Shoemaker

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Wednesday, April 17, 2024, 19:51 (14 days ago) @ JimT

Phil is an Hombre!

by RayLee, Wednesday, April 17, 2024, 20:48 (14 days ago) @ JimT

[image]

Jim, Actually Wolf Publishing refused to publish the story.

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Friday, April 19, 2024, 17:32 (12 days ago) @ JimT

Too many bear tales out there already too sensational etc. It's all over the web. I don't know if you saw it but we recreated the situation on the range with Buffalo Bore 147 grain hard cast a coke can size target (the size of the group Phil got on the moving bear) and the same gun. Everyone present could easily make the shots on a non carnivorous steel target that wasn't standing on top of his 2 clients...[image] Here is Phil knocking over a steel pig at Whittington Center
[image] This shows the angle from were we were shooting the 15 yard target representing the bear's kill zone.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

That's too bad that they turned it down.

by JimT, Texas, Saturday, April 20, 2024, 07:13 (12 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

He wasn't trying to be controversial ... as you and I know.

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

by Creeker @, Hardwoods, Friday, April 26, 2024, 09:15 (6 days ago) @ JimT

Watched that & heard the story several times. All about shot placement & penetration & of course, keeping your cool. He is been there & done all of it.

RSS Feed of thread