12 ga roll crimp, round balls, & powder coat

by E Sisk, Wednesday, March 27, 2024, 18:22 (32 days ago)

Finally picked up one of those roll crimp tools that fits in a drill press, works great. Experimented with some .690 round balls. Cut the star crimp off four plastic hulls, loaded them with Jim Taylor's 30gr Unique load. Ready for the next Rhino that escapes from the zoo! Never powder coated anything, think I will practice powder coating with the round balls and load them in some mini-shell roll crimp hulls.

I used a little larger ball and 28 gr. of Unique.

by JimT, Texas, Wednesday, March 27, 2024, 19:23 (31 days ago) @ E Sisk

If I remember correctly the ball was close to .730" and weighed about 530 grains. I cut a Lee powder scoop till it threw 28 gr. Unique. Still have it in fact. Still have some of the original ball loads. Fired one awhile back and they still recoil stoutly. :-)

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

I used a little larger ball and 28 gr. of Unique.

by E Sisk, Thursday, March 28, 2024, 02:55 (31 days ago) @ JimT

The .690's are a little lighter. I have .720's too, will lighten the charge for those.

They will all be fun. If you can, post some photos

by JimT, Texas, Thursday, March 28, 2024, 07:24 (31 days ago) @ E Sisk

with a report when you do. :-)

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

12 ga roll crimp, round balls, & powder coat

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Friday, March 29, 2024, 07:40 (30 days ago) @ E Sisk

Cool stuff. I have an old Lee shotshell press and used to have some antique clamp to the bench type of roll crimp tools for paper cartridges. I loaded black powder shells years ago when I shot CAS. Loading some slugs would be fun to play with. I think it was Jared who sent me a link, but a guy bought the hundred pack of federal air Winchesters from Walmart and carefully cut the top of the shells off, dumped the shot to cast later and dropped in a home blast slug and then used a roll crimper tool. Pretty easy and cheap way to get some slugs. I think he was using them for three gun so ultimate precision wasn’t 100% necessary.

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

RSS Feed of thread