Whitetail and the Freedom Arms .475 Linebaugh

by JimT, Texas, Sunday, March 03, 2024, 09:55 (55 days ago)

It was Opening Day in Missouri and my friend Mike Harmon and I were hunting a nice fairly large piece of property fairly close to where we lived. An older couple that we knew owned it and had lived on it until they got to the age where they needed to be in town. The property had a lot of hills and gullies and the trees were pretty thick. There were a lot of deer on the place and we had permission from the owners to hunt there when ever we wished.

Mike was using his 1894 Marlin .357 and I was carrying a Freedom Arms .475 Linebaugh. Freedom Arms had sent me the gun to use for a couple articles I was writing for publication. The ammo was handloaded by me and I had previously tested it in my own .475. The bullet was a light one for the big gun, weighing roughly 350 grains and was a “WFN” .. Wide Flat Nose cast from an LBT mold … and looking nearly like a full wadcutter. I was driving it pretty fast and the shooting I had done with it proved it plenty accurate and flat-shooting to the ranges I would encounter in these woods.

The only thing that bothered me some was the revolver had a scope on it. I know folks like them but I never did care much for a scope on a revolver. The good thing about it was it did tame the recoil of the .475 a bit.

Mike and I moved through the woods about 50 yards apart and each of us keeping track of where the other was. He was to my right and above me on the hillside. As we came to a gully that ran left and right in front of me I heard some deer break out in front of Mike. As they ran I heard Mike's rifle go off and I moved on down into the gully. As I did I saw the deer run up the bank away from Mike. A nice doe stopped in front of me maybe 40 yards away. I had the scope on her and as she stopped I touched it off. Past the recoiling gun I saw her jump straight ahead behind some trees but she never reappeared. Mike and I called to each other and then he came down to where I was, dragging a buck. His shot had taken it in the left side back in the ribs and ranged forward toward the right shoulder. It dropped when he hit it.

I climbed the hill where the doe had been standing when I shot her and found her laying in the leaves about 10 feet from where she had stood. There was a massive hole in her right shoulder. The shot had been uphill and gone in low on the left side and exited the middle of the right shoulder, blowing a hole that you could lay a golf ball in and it would not touch the sides of the wound.

The rest was anti-climactic. I was able to get the 4WD truck fairly close. We loaded the deer, took some photos and then hauled them to the processor. It was a great start to a good season of harvesting deer.

[image]

[image]

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

by Gunner @, St Louis, Monday, March 04, 2024, 10:12 (54 days ago) @ JimT

Nice write up, ole 475 Linebaugh is on my bucket list, always liked it.

I do believe it was around this time that I first meant you in person.....I bought the 5.5" 41 Mag Redhawk from JohnB and afterwards we drove down to your place to meet you and hang out.

Gunner

--
https://www.instagram.com/41gunner/
41 Mags rule, Baers rock!

Yessir .. I beleive you are correct. Those were good times!

by JimT, Texas, Monday, March 04, 2024, 10:36 (54 days ago) @ Gunner

Seemed like we always had a lot going on.

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

by Fivegunner @, LOWELL Mi., Monday, March 04, 2024, 14:59 (54 days ago) @ JimT

Great story Jim, I Have a 6 inch Freedom arms 475 linebaugh I like the 400gr LBT WFN .I only shot one bear with it , To me it has less violent recoil than my 454casull 325gr. loads .I can shot two rounds of 454 and hit were I want to, then try to shoot the third round My mind wont let me pull the triger unless I jerk the triger and of corse I will miss the target . I will be 70 in July Old age is not for young at heart !:-D

Good for you!! I quit shooting the heavy recoiling pistols

by JimT, Texas, Monday, March 04, 2024, 15:08 (54 days ago) @ Fivegunner

when I was in my 60's. I will be 78 next month and all my fingers and wrists work pretty well yet. My "heavy" 45 Colt load these days is around 1100 fps and I prefer the 850/900 fps loads.

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

Based on thems that went before me...

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Monday, March 04, 2024, 19:17 (54 days ago) @ JimT

I decided that whichever caliber and whichever bullet weight, right near 1000fps was a good place to be. I was something of a recoil junkie growing up but I'm glad I am over that (largely) now.

RSS Feed of thread