Adventures with monochrome

by Paul ⌂, Saturday, March 02, 2024, 09:33 (56 days ago)

Last year I asked if anyone had old manual lenses they didn't want any more and I managed to snag a couple while up north. So I've been having fun playing with them a bit. Here's a little something I did this morning before getting down to "gotta do" type activities.

https://www.pwmphotography.net/2024/03/02/playing-with-monochrome/

We'll be up in the US briefly for our younger son's promotion to first sergeant and I'm hoping to find a few more "analog" lenses. They're a hoot to use on modern DSLR cameras. If you happen to have any gathering dust, let me know what you want for them.

Here's your photo-taking song

by JimT, Texas, Saturday, March 02, 2024, 09:41 (56 days ago) @ Paul

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4ltLp30KVs

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

Ha! Since you mention Kodachrome...

by Paul ⌂, Saturday, March 02, 2024, 10:00 (56 days ago) @ JimT

I'm probably the only one on this forum that thinks it'd be cool to have one of the Fujifilm digital cameras that have settings that imitate the old Kodachrome, Agfa and other film "looks".

And I've got a Konica Autoreflex TC stashed away, waiting for the day I get up the nerve to load it with film and step back in time. Not ready for that yet, still learning to read light and settings and such, but there's still places one can get film developed. Don't know if I'll ever get up the nerve to do my own developing or not. In the meantime, it's amazing how often the camera on my phone comes in handy - especially for reading the small print on labels.

Ha! Since you mention Kodachrome...

by A K Church, Saturday, March 02, 2024, 14:31 (56 days ago) @ Paul

My last Minolta film SLR gave me some pretty neat shots with Ilford C41 B&W. But film is dying, more slowly than I would expect, but dying it is.

Photographers are an odd bunch...

by Paul ⌂, Saturday, March 02, 2024, 14:44 (56 days ago) @ A K Church

we live in a marvelous time in which one can capture high definition images in amazing fidelity to the actual scene. And yet there's a resurgence in interest in the older technologies. There's a new company specializing in brand new manufactured large format cameras - and folks are coming up with ways to use them with wet plates or large format film (which is surprisingly still available if somewhat expensive). 35mm film continues to be available and a number of options are still out there for developing and printing it. Medium format film is also still around and has quite a following. Film may be dying, but it's a long, drawn out process. In the meantime there are those shouting from the roof tops that if you don't have the latest and greatest mirrorless camera you're not a real photographer. Kind of like the 6.5 Creedmoor fans who believe it's the end all of ballistic perfection. ;-)

I wonder if this page is still......

by RayLee, Saturday, March 02, 2024, 23:49 (55 days ago) @ Paul

applicable ?

https://www.cvs.com/photo/film-processing

I know it is no good in the andes but there is one in joplin.....

I wonder if this page is still......

by A K Church, Sunday, March 03, 2024, 09:10 (55 days ago) @ RayLee

"Looks like" the one on 32nd St still does film processing, or more likely is a pickup point to send film to a regional lab.

I didn't call them. But the online description says they still do.

RSS Feed of thread