Here's a Project For You

by JimT, Texas, Thursday, February 22, 2024, 07:44 (65 days ago)

Making a Bolt Cannon (saw this on Leverguns)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bN8LCPWY_no

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

Here's a Project For You

by RayLee, Thursday, February 22, 2024, 11:05 (65 days ago) @ JimT

I find the match head powder intriguing.....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CMGYUmYLhAo&pp=ygUMTWF0Y2ggcG93ZGVy

What he made was more like priming compound ....

by JimT, Texas, Thursday, February 22, 2024, 12:06 (65 days ago) @ RayLee

I have used match heads for gunpowder. In a cartridge the primer will set them off just fine. And it's not as explosive as the way he mixed it up. I understand that for a fuse to light it off you need it to be more explosive.

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

In my pre-adolescent life, ca late 60s

by A K Church, Thursday, February 22, 2024, 18:13 (65 days ago) @ JimT

I longed very much for Estes model rockets. To this day I've never had or even shot one, so I guess it wasn't a real need.

BTW, they're still around, I've discovered.

Point is, Estes ads pushed their product as safer than home rigged rocket motors which apparently blew up and maimed fine American lads.

The most common one I recall being described was an airgun C02 cartridge stuffed full of powdered matchheads. I'd LOVE to blow one up under controlled conditions, but I also read even the process of stuffing the cartridge is dangerous, let alone INTENTIONALLY igniting it.

One particularly "inventive" afternoon...

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Thursday, February 22, 2024, 18:37 (65 days ago) @ A K Church

Louie and I cut a small hole in a ping-pong ball and stuffed it full of wooden kitchen match heads. We (being basic knuckle-heads) lit it with both of us bending over the contraption. Apparently God looks out for little children and idiots because it didn't explode or anything dramatic. It burned. Impressive? You betcha. Disappointed? Yes, we were. Blessed? Absolutely.

by A K Church, Friday, February 23, 2024, 04:00 (65 days ago) @ Hoot

And this morning I had a hankering to listen to a favorite bit of music from 40+ years back, "Crazy" by "Pylon", from the same era of Athens GA music which spawned the B52s and REM.

And the first video I saw featured an Estes rocket. Huh...

by RayLee, Friday, February 23, 2024, 15:17 (64 days ago) @ A K Church
edited by RayLee, Friday, February 23, 2024, 15:23

You mention these bands that I am unfamiliar with then I look them up and realize I have heard them. Not on the radio.....but in the damage control central space on a decrepit, floundering Knox class frigate.

D.C. central was the only place I could (was allowed to) sit down while standing underway sounding watch. Many times the small space was filled with unauthorized "quasi-punkers" as it was one of the few spaces where the smoking lamp was "lit" between taps and reveille. Compact discs and their players were new and they played the so-called new wave-post punk over and over in that small space filled with blue smoke.

They ranted on and on about r.e.m. seditiously turning "commercial" and the reverential look on their faces as they played the smithereens "cigarette" was so piously serious it was comical. Yes, I laughed at them though I was trained as a child to not mock a man's religion.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YkiSQVn92MQ&pp=ygUVc21pdGhlcmVlbnMgY2lnYXJldHRl

As odd as it sounds, elvis costello was heard predominantly.....

by A K Church, Friday, February 23, 2024, 18:59 (64 days ago) @ RayLee

And, oddly enough, REM covered Pylon's "Crazy".

The story, apparently true, was that after REM's first national exposure, singing "So Central Rain" on Letterman, Mike Mills declared something to the effect of

"We still don't sound as good as Pylon".

I saw that performance, and it was actually great, BTW.

RSS Feed of thread