Extractor wisdom

by A K Church, Monday, February 19, 2024, 17:33 (73 days ago)
edited by A K Church, Tuesday, February 20, 2024, 04:58

I have a Ruger Mk II pistol I use exclusively as a suppressor gun. Cut to 3 1/2", and it gets disgustingly dirty inside, quickly.

I thought it was decently clean inside, but I was having failures to extract. Turned out there was enough plaque-like carbon buildup on the breech face, it was holding the bolt off a few thousandths or so, and the extractor was not fully engaging.

Scraped at it with a pic, and flakes of black stuff came off. And the extraction issues seem, so far, to be gone.

Extractor wisdom

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Tuesday, February 20, 2024, 04:20 (72 days ago) @ A K Church

Interesting…. You’d almost think it would have had misfires at that stage too.

My standard ‘cleaning’ process for such guns, if applicability is to lock the slide back and hose them with carb cleaner until it r7ns out mostly clear. Give it a few good shakes and let dry for a few minutes then hose it down liberally with oil.

Not the procedure for a fine Smith or a carry gun, but for a high round count range plinker, it’s seems to work.

I do recall you giving me a hard time for the state of my GSG 1911-22 a few years back at Cannon’s. That thing has seen unknown amounts of suppressed shooting and for some reasons my process on that one is to shoot it until it gets noticeably sluggish, then douche it with oil and have at it again! I really should detail strip that one down someday…

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

Extractor wisdom

by A K Church, Tuesday, February 20, 2024, 05:00 (72 days ago) @ Slow Hand

In my own feeble attempt to defend myself, I will note the "plaque" was about the same color as the dark Parkerized refinish...

Not very convincing, is it?

RSS Feed of thread