Through strange circumstances I wound up with this old gun.

by JimT, Texas, Friday, December 08, 2023, 09:07 (147 days ago)

The gun belonged to a good friend, but had been forgotten about for a few years. When I got it the pistol was missing a hammer and some internal parts. I dug around in my parts bin and found a hammer that fit and worked well. It was fun to get it running.

[image]

Funny thing was, someone had worked on the gun sometime in the past and slicked it up in the same way I do the single actions! I thought that was cool.

I called the owner of the gun and talked with him about it. When I told him that someone had slicked up the internals the same way I did he laughed at me and told me that I had sold him the gun!

!!!

We ended up agreeing to put it in the Lady Shootists raffle at The Shootists Holiday that year, which we did.

Tom Richardson won it!

He called me after the Holiday and I gave him the background on the gun. He was tickled to win it.

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

Is it from Hartford.

by A K Church, Friday, December 08, 2023, 17:52 (147 days ago) @ JimT

or Gardone Valtrompia?

It was Italian .. not sure who.

by JimT, Texas, Friday, December 08, 2023, 17:55 (147 days ago) @ A K Church

I must have picked it up - used - in the 1980's. I don't remember from who or where and did not even remember owning it until I was told I had sold it to him.

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

It was Italian .. not sure who.

by A K Church, Friday, December 08, 2023, 17:56 (147 days ago) @ JimT

Allen Arms?

I have no clue. Sorry. (nt)

by JimT, Texas, Friday, December 08, 2023, 18:30 (147 days ago) @ A K Church

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

I think it might be

by A K Church, Friday, December 08, 2023, 18:42 (147 days ago) @ JimT

one I gave you...maybe.

I gave you an Allen/Uberti repro of a screwframe SAA. The one piece walnut grips and 4 3/4" length also add up.

Best I recall I got it the day before I gave it to you.

It had a bullseye ejector, and great case-to-silver patina. It was from a batch surplused out from Knot's Berry Farm, where it had been used for a prop gun. Early 80s gun, I bought it in the early oughts.

And sadly years of 5-in-1 blanks, and lackadaisical cleaning by minimum wage summer employees left the bore gnarled and moonscape-ish. We recovered a bullet from it, and no crime lab in the world woulda been able to read that one.

That could be it! I think it did have a bullseye ejector.

by JimT, Texas, Friday, December 08, 2023, 19:53 (147 days ago) @ A K Church

But I am not sure.

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

The complete saga is connected to another single action

by JohnKDM, Saturday, December 09, 2023, 15:06 (146 days ago) @ JimT

and the story is nearly unbelievable in parts, astounding in total, and involved quite a few good friends...

[image]

I regret

by Paul ⌂, Monday, December 11, 2023, 13:24 (144 days ago) @ JohnKDM

that I managed to miss the "family reunion" when a large percentage of the 480 Achilles family was together at Raton. Or so I heard. So far have only managed to leave prints on Jim's. :-)

I am not sure of the percentage but ...

by JimT, Texas, Monday, December 11, 2023, 14:10 (144 days ago) @ Paul

It may have been close to the majority of them that exist.

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

Yeah. Rub it in. :-) (nt)

by Paul ⌂, Monday, December 11, 2023, 19:16 (144 days ago) @ JimT

This may sound blasphemous to some…

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Tuesday, December 12, 2023, 08:31 (143 days ago) @ JohnKDM

But with the outside lining of the Achilies bullet design, has anyone ever powder coated the bullets? That would keep them cleaner if stored for longer or carried in a pocket, etc. just a thought…

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

A friend powder coated some for me. They worked well.

by JimT, Texas, Tuesday, December 12, 2023, 08:51 (143 days ago) @ Slow Hand

They would be great for hunting rounds that you carry with you. Don't collect dirt and grime like the outside lubricated with grease do. I normally use Lee Liquid Alox on the ones that I am using for plinking and it works well also.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

Very good!

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Tuesday, December 12, 2023, 21:49 (143 days ago) @ JimT

Looks like they shot well for you!

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

RSS Feed of thread