Israeli Women Tank Crews Make History

by JimT, Texas, Monday, November 27, 2023, 17:31 (158 days ago)

https://twitter.com/AvivaKlompas/status/1728548380694253700

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

Israeli Women are not to be trifled with!

by Otony, Monday, November 27, 2023, 18:12 (158 days ago) @ JimT

Wow!

“You ran over the terrorists?”

“Yes.”

I’m surprised she didn’t give the reporter side eye right then, she was so nonchalant

running over terrorists with a tank would not make it bounce

by JimT, Texas, Monday, November 27, 2023, 18:48 (158 days ago) @ Otony

It would not be like hitting them with a small Toyota pickup ...

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

by A K Church, Wednesday, November 29, 2023, 04:24 (156 days ago) @ JimT

The USSR employed a bunch of women in frontline combat roles during WWII. Tank crews, nuisance bombing crews, and snipers.

The bombing was an especially risky business. They flew slow Polikarpov biplanes over German lines, coming in low, and dropping their ordnance before doing a u turn, and getting out. The small bombs were not intended to to do great damage, but to keep the enemy on edge, deny them sleep, and generally degrade morale. They commonly did this at night.

There is a good fictionalized account of a female unit who mount a patrol after German infiltrators, with heavy losses. Fictional, but a good eye for detail. "The Dawns Here Are Quiet", which can be seen for free at a few places online. If female nudity offends you, there is one scene to avoid.

I have a book -DAUGHTERS OF THE NIGHT SKY ....

by JimT, Texas, Wednesday, November 29, 2023, 08:21 (156 days ago) @ A K Church

it's a fictionalized account of the Russian women who flew those little planes. The Germans called them "the night witches" .. and the book is based on them. The author bases it from reports and discussions the actual crews of the Fortysixth Taman Guards. She used the dates and positions where the regiment moved during the war and a lot of the events in the book are copied from actual happenings.

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

by Otony, Wednesday, November 29, 2023, 12:10 (156 days ago) @ A K Church

The original 1972 version, or the later 2015 remake. Both are equally interesting. If you have a chance, watch another Russian movie about female soldiers, Battalions

Otony

by A K Church, Wednesday, November 29, 2023, 18:01 (156 days ago) @ Otony

I've only seen the 2015 remake.

by Otony, Wednesday, November 29, 2023, 19:34 (156 days ago) @ A K Church

The 1972 version was a bit controversial in its day due to nudity in the sauna scene. Nowadays folks seem far more inured to that sort of thing.

Otony

RSS Feed of thread