Are modern jacketed pistol bullets to hard for deer......

by Gunner @, St Louis, Sunday, November 19, 2023, 22:42 (166 days ago)

Average size deer with velocities in the 1,000-1,200 fps range.

Would a modern JHP with a behind the shoulder hit go thru with little to no expansion??? Would it be cheaper to just use a good hard cast lead bullet and make a caliber sized hole thru the deer. Is there any real good reason to use JHP/JSP on deer with classic shot placement?

I remember reading an article by John Linebaugh years ago about he and his wife's favorite deer load....a 45 Colt with a 255 gr LSWC in front of 8 grains of 231 powder, 900 fps if I recall correctly.

Problem currently is lack of in stock Speer 41 caliber 200gr half jack or 210gr Deep Curl bullets for purchase, I have some of both on hand but supply will run dry soon, then it will be decision time for a replacement for the 41 Special.

I like and prefer the Nosler 210 gr JHP for the 41 Magnum or the Sierra 170 JHP, which JD Jones called a very hard bullet, but have little faith in either expanding in the less than 1,200 fps range. Years ago Speer published velocity ranges for the then new Gold Dot, later the Deep Curl for reliable expansion but they no longer have any info on their website.

So would it make sense to just develop a good, 1,000-1,100 fps range 230 gr Keith bullet load and be done with it???????

Gunner

--
https://www.instagram.com/41gunner/
41 Mags rule, Baers rock!

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Monday, November 20, 2023, 04:10 (165 days ago) @ Gunner

I don’t have enough real testing experience to give a quality reply, but…

Do you cast? In that velocity range you should be able to make a cash hollow point reliably expand, especially experimenting with different alloys. I’m not familiar with many 41 molds, but I’d bet Miha makes something that would work, and they come with, I think, four different pins to adjust cavity shape and depth.

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

I want to try these on whitetail......

by RayLee, Monday, November 20, 2023, 06:39 (165 days ago) @ Gunner

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1000615128?pid=720277

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010403667?pid=775135

perhaps a bit of sticker shock will be experienced.....

The $1.44 per before tax and shipping for the loaded rounds sounds rather exorbitant until you notice the component bullets themselves are $.82 before tax and shipping !

I use these too but not quite up to 1200fps.

https://quality-cast.com/41-cal-215-gr-swc/

My opinion, which is not data-based...

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Monday, November 20, 2023, 07:06 (165 days ago) @ Gunner

is for your .41, any good cast bullet will do the job---expansion or no. I believe that would be true with any suitable pistol caliber.

Now, that's what I believe never having shot a deer with a handgun. When that finally happens, I may well be humbled.

The 210 gr. XTP has served me well for a very long time.

by JimT, Texas, Monday, November 20, 2023, 07:40 (165 days ago) @ Gunner

I started using it in my .41 around 1990 when we moved to Missouri. Before that time I shot a lot of deer with cast bullets. Normally with a cast bullet a good hit through the heart/lung area resulted in a hard run for a relative short distance til blood pressure dropped. But hunting in Missouri, if I shot a deer and it ran 50 or 100 yards onto the neighbors property, I may not have been able to recover it. I wanted something that dropped them faster and settled on the 210 gr. XTP at 1400/1450. I shot quite a few deer with it the 20 years I lived in Missouri and it worked well. Typical was the time I eased into the woods and had a buck stand up in front of me about 30/40 yards. I had a clear view and shot him just behind the front leg about a quarter way up the body. He made a strong leap like they do when they take off running, but when he hit the ground instead of running he just piled up in a heap.

I've had good enough success with it that it is the only jacketed bullet I run in the .41.

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

by JT, Monday, November 20, 2023, 13:45 (165 days ago) @ Gunner

I have taken two dozen whitetails and one cougar using the Black Hills XTP-loaded .44 Magnum. All one shot kills. Perfect performance. (Shot placement has a lot to do with it!)

by Jared, Monday, November 20, 2023, 17:47 (165 days ago) @ Gunner

I don’t have any experience with .41 but a Keith HP cast soft will expand at upper 44 special velocities, and most jacketed 44 bullets are a bit stiff for optimum performance in the special.

by Jhenry, Tuesday, November 21, 2023, 11:25 (164 days ago) @ Gunner

I use 210 fr XTP'S with very good results on whitetail.

RSS Feed of thread