My Father's Day

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Sunday, June 17, 2012, 22:44 (4338 days ago)

Went to the range today, took the Freedom Arms, my Super Blackhawk, and my SS Bisley 45 Colt. The Super Blackhawk was as accurate as ever, same with the Bisley. It is going to take some time to get used to the trigger on the Freedom Arms, I have done the poor man's trigger job on the Rugers, so even though they still have creep, they are quite light. The Freedom Arms breaks like a glass rod, just a goodly bit heavier. With the 45 Colt loads, the groups were really tightening up, the Casull loads, well they are tightening up, just a little slower, let me tell you, hangovers aren't the only thing that hurts more than they used to. Still, while the recoil is certainly there, it is much more pleasant than the Ruger ever was with 454 loads. Today I was shooting H110 under the 325s, I believe I will try some 2400 under them next. I didn't get any Deep Curls loaded, so they will be on the agenda as well. I know it is me, not the pistol, although some of my accuracy issues could be traced to my lube, I don't think it is the speed, it seems to work fine in the 45/70, so I am wondering if it is the pressure? I am also thinking of trying to size the bullets differently, maybe a .451 instead of .452, common sense tells me .452 should be the proper diameter. I am going to keep working at it, going to try a different lube, may send the 454 back to Freedom for the trigger job, but I will shoot it a lot more before I consider this, if i end up having to deploy, I may have it done while I am gone, since as it stands, I don't care to be without it for a minute. I know the accuracy potential, only difference this time around, is I am shooting my own bullets, not bullets from the Bullshop, or the Speer Plated Soft Point bullets. I need to throw more jacketed bullets into the mix, some of me out of the equation. This is the best I have felt in months, out there at the range, there's no politics, no work issues, no co-worker issues, just me, the pistols, and the targets, well, today my best friend of 26 years was there as well, he is now sold on the Freedom Arms, reckon he will own one before the year is out. All in all, a great Father's Day, spent mostly with family, some with friends.

Dave

Sounds like a great time...

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Monday, June 18, 2012, 16:29 (4337 days ago) @ Dave B

nm

RSS Feed of thread