.475 Linebaugh

by ERSisk @, Wednesday, October 21, 2020, 22:28 (1281 days ago)

I need an intervention! I am seriously looking hard at a 4 1/2" FA .475 that I don't need. I won't be going to Africa for Mbogo or Alaska for grizzly. Would a .475 be considered 'too much gun' for CCW? I would be ready though, if Bugs land and start eating people!

.475 Linebaugh

by jgt, Thursday, October 22, 2020, 06:05 (1280 days ago) @ ERSisk

Just my opinion so don't take this as "chiseled in stone". For bugs that land and start eatin people, I would move up to a rifle that uses a lot of the same components as the handgun you use. For instance if you carry a .454 then a model 94 in .45 caliber or an 1895/1886 in 45-70. They could match the ballistics of the handgun with heavy bullets or maybe surpass it with little effort. Good luck on your choice.

.475 Linebaugh

by Ken O'Neill, Thursday, October 22, 2020, 06:52 (1280 days ago) @ ERSisk

The .475 L is one of my all-time favorites. I've owned 1 FA each in 6", 7-1/2" and 10", although only the 7-1/2" continues to live here now. Nothing wrong with the other lengths, but I found others who "needed" them, and I figured "how many Lamborghinis do I need?".
I've used them quite a bit hunting, and found them ideal for hogs, large bears, bull elk, bison and buffalo. PERSONALLY, I would not want one with a barrel as short as 4-1/2 or 4-3/4", but I admit that opinions could vary. It would probably require a .540" front sight for full-charge loads.

If you're going to shoot 275 gr. bullets pushed by 231, I say "why bother ?", but if standard 400 gr-ish loads are needed for what you will / may hunt, the .475 is excellent.

.475 Linebaugh

by ERSisk @, Thursday, October 22, 2020, 14:06 (1280 days ago) @ Ken O'Neill

I already have four 454's 6" & 10" FA Premier Grade,7 1/2" FA Field Grade, Browning Hi-Wall. I won't be hunting anything bigger than hogs, .475L won't make a hog any deader than .454 dead. I have no connection to this auction but these seem to be fair prices? https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?IncludeSellers=581406 I'm 70 now so I should be thinning the herd not adding. I could always ask to put a couple rounds of your .475L downrange at CSA to scratch the itch:-D .

.475 Linebaugh YES!

by Fivegunner @, LOWELL Mi., Thursday, October 22, 2020, 07:50 (1280 days ago) @ ERSisk

I say you should buy it send it back to freedom arms and have a .480 Ruger cylinder fitted to it. get A 200AW holster From Milt Sparks , A few Mihec Mold`s And enjoy. Mine will be the last gun I would sell. life`s to short to not have what you can aford.:-D

bugs? those would be really BIG bugs

by bj @, Thursday, October 22, 2020, 20:11 (1280 days ago) @ ERSisk

I recall reading that the FA .475 is somewhat limited for heavy bullets due to cylinder length being shorter than the Ruger conversions.

bugs? those would be really BIG bugs

by ERSisk @, Thursday, October 22, 2020, 22:34 (1280 days ago) @ bj

“Imagine a giant cockroach, with unlimited strength, a massive inferiority complex, and a real short temper, is tear-assing around Manhattan island in a brand new Edgar suit. That sound like fun?”:-D

my imagination usually needs help

by bj @, Friday, October 23, 2020, 20:13 (1279 days ago) @ ERSisk

I vaguely remember an old scifi book about insect-like creatures on the moon. Google says it might be _The First Men in the Moon_ by H.G. Wells. When I read the book many years ago I was picturing large creatures that would require a fairly large caliber.

I laugh at the movies and TV shows where they are shooting at the large aliens or whatever with 223 rifles. But in the most recent "Jurassic Park" dinosaur movie the main character had a Marlin Guide Gun. I thought that would have been a suitable weapon, with suitable ammo, against various dinosaurs. That is assuming he can't find a good double rifle somewhere.

I don't have much chance of encountering dangerous game, or insects bigger than what I can step on, although it might be possible for me to be in serious bear country. I've decided that the Ruger Alaskan revolver in 480 Ruger, or the 4" Redhawk in 45 Colt, would be minimum backup armament. I don't know anything about reliability of Taurus revolvers but I noted that they have also sold a DA revolver in 480 Ruger.

I've also had an interest in a short barrel FA but I would have to go with .454/45 Colt for various reasons.

my imagination usually needs help

by Otony, Sunday, October 25, 2020, 18:04 (1277 days ago) @ bj

Sounds like The Moon Colony, by William Dixon Bell

I have a copy in my library, but I found this picture on the web

[image]

Can't help, that's exactly what I'd like to buy.

by cas, Thursday, October 22, 2020, 22:21 (1280 days ago) @ ERSisk

Sorry.

Can't help, that's exactly what I'd like to buy.

by Ken O'Neill, Friday, October 23, 2020, 06:29 (1279 days ago) @ cas

What could possibly be bad about a giant man-eating cockroach tearing around Manhattan? Another one tearing around D.C. would be even better.

RSS Feed of thread