hunting at the remote mine this week

by cable, Thursday, September 17, 2020, 14:32 (1288 days ago)

just got back last night , pretty tired. was getting cold out there but had some luck.... we had moose permits for any bull..

we unloaded gear at the little cabin and by then it was 630 pm. my wife said lets drive the trail upstream a bit and check for tracks....I was driving and looking out the side window, wen she said " Stop ! there's a moose, and there it...was probably 150 yds away coming down the trail toward us... and I saw antlers....so being a meat hunter I told her to shoot it ! she said no you do it, supposing that I am a better shot off hand , and not really excitable .
so I got out, and it was grunting challenges at me and started to turn away, but the marlin 336ER in .356 wiinchester barked once and that was it. it went down immediately and didn't get up again

[image]

it was about 110 yds away....small rack, medium sized body.

[image]

that was about 645pm and the work wasn't done till nearly 1100pm...cutting and bagging in the dark....though we pulled the truck right up to it.

[image]

its hanging back home now, and we start cutting it up soon. this sure was a lot easier years ago, when I wasn't almost 73 years old !!

Thanks for sharing!

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Friday, September 18, 2020, 06:16 (1287 days ago) @ cable

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Very cool!

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Friday, September 18, 2020, 07:25 (1287 days ago) @ cable

Nice moose, cool rifle, good shot.

Alright! Congradulations Harold!

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Friday, September 18, 2020, 15:20 (1287 days ago) @ cable

Great to see that obsolete and defunct oddball cartridge still doing what it was designed to do! Nice country. Very sorry We couldn't make the trip this summer. I hope to see you this spring.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

i hope you can too !

by cable, Saturday, September 19, 2020, 12:19 (1286 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

:-)

i hope you can too !

by uncowboy, Saturday, September 19, 2020, 18:50 (1286 days ago) @ cable

Congrats! you make me feel weak

Thanks, lot of work there....nt

by Creeker @, Hardwoods, Wednesday, September 30, 2020, 12:53 (1275 days ago) @ cable

so true. glad that part is done. next adventure is

by cable, Wednesday, September 30, 2020, 15:33 (1275 days ago) @ Creeker

my wife and I are going out to cold bay , in the Aleutians to hunt waterfowl

that is supposed to be totally world class !

Very nice write up and pics...

by Bri A, Wednesday, October 14, 2020, 21:27 (1261 days ago) @ cable

Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

RSS Feed of thread