Combat Commander

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Friday, September 11, 2020, 04:56 (1317 days ago)

I picked this Colt up recently. It’s an 80-series Steel framed Commander .45. The previous owner sent it to Ed Brown for a few improvements. Hammer, trigger, sear, beavertail fit to it. It has a 30 lpi checkered front strap and MSH. I really like the feel of the finer checkering. The trigger is amazing. I’ve only had the chance to taken it out once. It functioned perfect, and shot well (for my poor skills), but hit low. I’ll have to take it out some more before doing anything to the sights, but I might order one of the ‘retro’ rear sights, as I believe they are slightly taller than a factory sight. Grips are said to be maple, and they look pretty nice but Honestly look better in the pictures! They almost look like rams horn or something similar,

[image]

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

Combat Commander

by Fivegunner @, LOWELL Mi., Friday, September 11, 2020, 07:37 (1317 days ago) @ Slow Hand

Great Picture, I love Colt Combatcommanders , :-D

Combat Commander

by Catoosa, Friday, September 11, 2020, 09:35 (1317 days ago) @ Slow Hand

You Sir, are the owner of one of the finest personal defense firearms in existence (in my admittedly not very humble opinion). I realize that Col. Cooper did not much care for the Combat Commander and I would never presume to disagree with him, BUT he was a pretty good-sized dude and could carry a full-sized GM without a problem. Smaller fellers like me find that the Commander barrel and slide don't bump and poke things quite as bad. The .45 ACP loses nothing from the 3/4 inch shorter barrel.

I've got Commanders in all three calibers and love 'em all. The light frame guns are more comfortable to carry but not to shoot, and the alloy frames will EVENTUALLY wear some with extensive shooting. The Combat Commander is built like an anvil and you will likely wear out before it does.

Congratulations, my friend. Carry it in good health!

barrel length preference?

by bj @, Friday, September 11, 2020, 13:58 (1317 days ago) @ Catoosa

I have my own internal arguments about barrel length. I've noticed that most full size service pistols have barrels closer to the Commander length.

barrel length preference?

by Gunner @, St Louis, Saturday, September 12, 2020, 15:42 (1315 days ago) @ bj

I have 4 1/4, 5 and 6 inch 1911's in 45 acp, favorite is the 5 incher but that 6 incher is so sweet and I shoot it much better at longer ranges.

As to ammo and barrel length combo??? There is some self defense ammo out there made for shorter barrels with reliable expansion, I guess I am a little too old school, figure 5 inch 45 with 230 JHP has gotten the job done for years why change : )

Gunner

--
https://www.instagram.com/41gunner/
41 Mags rule, Baers rock!

Combat Commander was my first Colt and I carried it for...

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Sunday, September 13, 2020, 13:57 (1315 days ago) @ Slow Hand

...years.

We have, at the moment, one of the 1970s era electroless nickel Combat Commanders. Somebody did replace the MSH with an arched one with lanyard ring. I might buy this one yet unless somebody saves me.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

why haven't you bought it already?

by bj @, Tuesday, September 15, 2020, 19:19 (1312 days ago) @ Hobie

nm

Being responsible, have several...

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Wednesday, September 16, 2020, 18:21 (1311 days ago) @ bj

;-)

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

"a pair and a spare..."

by bj @, Thursday, September 17, 2020, 19:38 (1310 days ago) @ Hobie

saw that on the internet

RSS Feed of thread