Rossi Model 92

by Stevens416 @, SE PA, Friday, August 21, 2020, 10:39 (1343 days ago)

LGS has a Rossi Model 92 .357 rifle with a 24 inch octagon barrel. Action and barrel are stainless steel. I looked at it and really liked it, but I'm no longer a buckhorn style sights shooter, as my eyes don't cooperate anymore. I can still use peep sights, but I couldn't see any way to mount a peep sight on the rifle without drilling and tapping either the side of the action or the tang.

Are any of you aware of a tang mounted peep sight that fits the existing tang screw holes, especially one adjustable for windage and elevation?

Thanks.

Rem

In past times, only the octagon Rossi had the tapped tang

by guest, Friday, August 21, 2020, 14:00 (1343 days ago) @ Stevens416

for tang mounted aperature. Today, I do not know. But if the tang has the extra hole with filler screw, the Marbles is often chosen by Rossi shooters. Never mounted one myself, and you might wish to check with Marbles prior to ordering. Might also want to zero with factory sights, first, to make sure front sight square before spending money on a new sight.

was not clear on factory sight trial, first.

by guest, Saturday, August 22, 2020, 10:14 (1342 days ago) @ guest

Firstly, zero with factory will allow aligning tang sight with factory sights for a near zero extra shooting zero.

But, primary, the factory sight zero will allow you to extend a line from front sight, back through rear sight, to tang sight distance, and let you preview, prior to purchase or mounting a tang sight, that the tang sight capable of being shimmed on one side (Lyman), or windage adjusted (Marbles), within the range of their adjustability for a zero.

what is the eye problem?

by bj @, Friday, August 21, 2020, 19:55 (1343 days ago) @ Stevens416

Are you a person who uses reading glasses?

what I was going to say ...

by bj @, Tuesday, August 25, 2020, 20:46 (1339 days ago) @ bj

This isn't a help for everybody but a lot of people as they get older have trouble focusing on close items, such as the rear sight. A pair of real weak reading glasses might help focus on the sights and not blur the target very much. The weakest reading glasses I've found in the local drug stores are about 1.25 diopter. I searched online and found some companies that sell reading safety glasses in lower powers. I tried a pair of them in +0.5 diopter and they help a lot for seeing handgun sights or rifle rear sights.

Rossi Model 92

by RidinLou, Middle TN, Saturday, August 22, 2020, 13:23 (1342 days ago) @ Stevens416

Skinner makes peep sight that replaces the safety lever in the bolt and I think they also have one that replaces the rear sight now.
It does not seem to bother most folks but the cheap plastic follower in the Mag tube had to go and Skinner as well as others have metal replacements.
Seems like I remember some folks have fashioned followers out of larger caliber straight wall pistol cases.
Do not know about that model but the one I had would launch cases into low orbit when it ejected, Skinner has a fix(spring) for that too.
I had planned to use mine for 180 grain projies, but it preferred 358156s.
Some folks found theirs preferred projies down in the 125 grain range.

Enjoy it and keep shootin!

RSS Feed of thread