More computer help please.

by uncowboy, Thursday, May 07, 2020, 10:03 (1421 days ago)

My mother passed last year and my sister needs her laptop computer she has an HP and I did get in it originally but it reverberated back to one of her passwords and we are locked out. I understand that there is a disc that over rides the password and lets you reset it. This can be put on a usb and it will over ride the password reset. DOES ANYONE HAVE THIS THAT THEY CAN LEND ME AND GET INTO THIS COMPUTER? thank you J.Michael uncowbotatcomcastdotnet

by Paul ⌂, Thursday, May 07, 2020, 10:09 (1421 days ago) @ uncowboy

Are you trying to access documents or programs or websites or ????

If all you need are documents, pull the hard drive and connect it via USB to your computer. That's how I backed up my mom's computer years ago, both documents and pictures. They sell both a hard drive case that you can place the hard drive in and also sell just a handy dandy cable that the hard drive plugs into and then one can connect it to another computer via USB. I've found this to be a very useful tool, both for accessing docs and pics as well as cleaning a hard drive of viruses.

by Paul ⌂, Thursday, May 07, 2020, 10:13 (1421 days ago) @ uncowboy

Here's one version that also allows 3.5" and 5.25" connections.

Or a more simple version that only attaches to a 2.5" SATA laptop drive.

by uncowboy, Thursday, May 07, 2020, 11:47 (1421 days ago) @ Paul

Paul I am just trying to get into her computer. The screen says password or pin we can't figure what it is. we are not trying to back it up just open it up so my sister can use it. There is a overide program that you stick a usb in the computer and it opens the computer without the password and then you can reset it.That is what I am looking for.

OK. NOW you want me to THINK... ;-) :-D

by Paul ⌂, Thursday, May 07, 2020, 13:02 (1421 days ago) @ uncowboy

If you're not interested in the contents of the computer (docs, pics, etc) and merely want access to put it to use again, you might consider a "factory reset" of the system. Sometimes this can be effected without the password (if the password is not guarding the BIOS, but merely the operating system). What brand/model is the computer? It should say on the bottom of the computer on the label somewhere. It should be something along the lines of:

Toshiba
Satellite C70
PSCSJA-01C01S

If the computer was sold by a major retailer, they all tend to have different model numbers for what is basically the same platform. One can then find the instructions to reset the computer to factory specs.

HOWEVER, you probably want something more like this.

by uncowboy, Thursday, May 07, 2020, 13:08 (1421 days ago) @ Paul

HP model 17 by 0062cl prod ID 4BV57UA#ABA ser# SCG818419R

by Paul ⌂, Thursday, May 07, 2020, 14:05 (1421 days ago) @ uncowboy

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-17-by0000-laptop-pc/20395856/model/22810292/doc...

Here's the page where you can get info about doing an HP system recovery.

by uncowboy, Thursday, May 07, 2020, 18:44 (1421 days ago) @ Paul

System recovery does not work because I can't get in to the computer I can't get past wallpaper

And a download site for the tool used above...

by Paul ⌂, Thursday, May 07, 2020, 13:04 (1421 days ago) @ uncowboy

can you open in safe mode?

by ERSisk, Sunday, May 10, 2020, 12:33 (1418 days ago) @ uncowboy

?

and is safe mode required for a start-up disc?

by guest, Sunday, May 10, 2020, 14:16 (1418 days ago) @ ERSisk

You guys are getting too hard-science for me, the anti-spam question was 2ea 2-digit numbers added together and just now am having trouble remembering how to untie shoes for dealing with tbose BIG numbers. Had to guess, but 10+10 was close enough looking to 1+1, took a stab at it and lucked out.

and is safe mode required for a start-up disc?

by E Sisk, Monday, May 11, 2020, 14:02 (1417 days ago) @ guest

I know just enough to be dangerous. Turn computer on immediately start repeatedly hitting F9 key (I think). menu will appear highlight open in safe mode hit enter. this should allow you to make administrative changes.

RSS Feed of thread