Cable, did you R-U-N-N-O-F-T?

by John K., Thursday, April 23, 2020, 14:06 (1458 days ago)

Hope everything is ok.

i am still here, just workng form home and doing

by cable, Thursday, April 23, 2020, 19:04 (1457 days ago) @ John K.

reloading projects mostly.

I will post a few more interesting items shortly.

still staying healthy but getting restless about this sheltering stuff.

Glad everything's ok. Nm

by John K., Thursday, April 23, 2020, 19:52 (1457 days ago) @ cable

to prove i am still kicking, here is what i am

by cable, Friday, April 24, 2020, 13:11 (1457 days ago) @ John K.

tinkering with currently. this a very light, beautifully balanced little german combination gun from the 1920s..the upper barrel is a 28 gauge shotgun [ uses 2.5 inch shells and I do have those ] and the lower barrel was supposed to be 22 hornet... but not exactly !

[image]

it is actually the European cartridge 5.6x35R Vierling, which was derived from the old American cartridge the 22 WCF. it is close to the same, but mainly with thicker rim...so it chambers but the action wont fully close on it. so the gun can be modified a little or the rims of the 22 hornet relieved on a lathe [ I don't have one ] or....buffalo arms sells 22 wcf brass, although they are out of stock currently. that is the way I am going to go

need to do a little mod on a tip off 22 mount to have option for a scope

[image]

[image]

hope to get this one going soon

more weird stuff will soon follow :-D

Hey Cable...

by Paul ⌂, Friday, April 24, 2020, 13:37 (1457 days ago) @ cable

would you be so kind as to post a picture of that one open? I'm curious as to how it operates/locks. Never seen that style of lever before.

certaiinly , here are pics of that one and another

by cable, Friday, April 24, 2020, 14:23 (1457 days ago) @ Paul

underlever gun. it was invented in the late 1800s [I think it is called a Jones underlever], in lieu of the top break lever, but otherwise works as well, and may even be a little stronger they say

[image]

[image]

and this one is a Fred Adolph drilling made in genoa, new York; he was a german gunsmith who became an American citizen and his guns were owned by the likes of teddy Roosevelt, and townsend whelen among others

this is a 3 barrel, a drilling, with side by side 20 gauge shotgun barrels over a 25/35 rifle barrel ...neat little light weight beautifully balanced gun and it uses similar under lever break action:

[image]

[image]

Very attractive rifles, they should be fun to shoot.

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Friday, April 24, 2020, 15:47 (1457 days ago) @ cable

np

the little 20 ga/ 25/35 drilling weighs only 6 lb 6 oz

by cable, Friday, April 24, 2020, 16:02 (1457 days ago) @ Cherokee

it should be a great little hunting gun

the little 20 ga/ 25/35 drilling weighs only 6 lb 6 oz

by Remington40x @, SE PA, Tuesday, April 28, 2020, 10:51 (1453 days ago) @ cable

Just out of curiosity, what's the barrel length on the 20ga/.25-35?

25 5/8" it is a cute lttle gun !

by cable, Tuesday, April 28, 2020, 12:04 (1453 days ago) @ Remington40x

:-)

Thank you!

by Paul ⌂, Friday, April 24, 2020, 16:36 (1457 days ago) @ cable

It's kind of like I imagined it to be. Interesting, never seen one done that way before. As far as I know the Jones system actually swivels to the side, unless he had another system as well. Here's a video of a 2 Bore with the Jones Underlever system.

you are right. i forget what this one is called

by cable, Friday, April 24, 2020, 16:43 (1457 days ago) @ Paul

here is one with the Jones system, another drilling a 16x16/11mm

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

you definitely have some cool items.

by Paul ⌂, Friday, April 24, 2020, 16:50 (1457 days ago) @ cable

I remember the first drilling I ever saw. It was a WWII bring back by the father of one of the ladies in the church where I was an intern years ago. VERY cool old guns.

maybe its called the Daw under lever

by cable, Friday, April 24, 2020, 16:53 (1457 days ago) @ cable

and that last one I posted is also called the Lefaucheux system

here is Daw's :

[image]

I really cannot keep all this straight, I am just not smart enough about mechanical systems.

Nice! Adolph made custom sporters also. Michael Petrov had

by John K., Friday, April 24, 2020, 17:40 (1457 days ago) @ cable

A chapter on him in the Vol II of Custom Gunmakers of the 20th Century.

thats true, i have the Petrov books !

by cable, Friday, April 24, 2020, 17:42 (1456 days ago) @ John K.

Adolph was really talented, beautiful elegant work.

thats true, i have the Petrov books !

by Ken O'Neill, Saturday, April 25, 2020, 06:48 (1456 days ago) @ cable

Very neat old guns. Thanks for posting the photos!

Very nice!

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Saturday, April 25, 2020, 11:10 (1456 days ago) @ cable

I am glad you are well.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

I have been working with a Vierling as well

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Wednesday, April 29, 2020, 09:37 (1452 days ago) @ cable

At least I'm pretty sure that's what it is. Had a friend thin some rims on some Hornets. I will not impose on him again as he said it was a miserable job. My first try key-holed something terrible. I've got some more loaded but haven't been able to get out to shoot....hopefully the weekend of 09MAY.

Would you care to share your loads? An e-mail is good if you'd prefer.

Thanks!

I have been working with a Vierling as well

by Remington40x @, SE PA, Friday, May 01, 2020, 09:42 (1450 days ago) @ Hoot

Hoot:

Dumb question, but did you slug the bore?

And to my recollection, the bullets for this cartridge are in the 35 grain range and very short, so the twist rate may not stabilize anything longer or heavier at the velocities you are loading to.

Just a thought.

Rem

Yep, sure did.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Friday, May 01, 2020, 10:24 (1450 days ago) @ Remington40x
edited by Hoot, Friday, May 01, 2020, 10:29

Mine was originally a Husqvarna Model 365 which left the factory as a single shot .22LR. Loads of work has been done to mine including the conversion to CF, addition of a second recoil lug and a proper extractor. The bore slugs to 0.2225" (from memory) and twist seems to be 1:16". I could not get repeatable readings but they all hovered around the 1:16 mark and it's what I would expect.

I suspect I was shooting them too slow which caused my stability issues. I wanted to start out low in deference to the original chambering. It also allowed me to fire form all of my brass. I'll have it out in the coming weeks with some different loads, both faster and slower, to see what changes.

Thanks for the thoughts!

Edit to add: The first loads were a combination of 0.223" 40gr. "old Hornet" bullets and some 40gr. LRN sized to 0.225" which fits easily into a fired case so I wasn't worried about the diameter much. I have some 33gr and 35gr to test out.

RSS Feed of thread