Lost my best friend yesterday

by JD, Western Washington, Thursday, April 16, 2020, 16:07 (1443 days ago)

[image]

Our 14 1/2 year old German Shorthair Pointer had to be put to sleep yesterday. He was the best dog I've ever found. Smart, loyal, very protective of my wife and sons, and a fantastic bird dog.... His mind and spirit were still sharp as ever, but old age caught up with his body, His rear legs were giving out; he'd try his best but his body just couldn't do it any more. He was probably in some pain too...

We found a vet that came to the house (He really hated trips to the vet's office..) and he passed away in his bed with my wife and I with him.

Even though I know that it was the right thing to do, it still saddens me greatly.. I don't know if dogs go to heaven, but I surely do hope to see him again on the other side...

:-( :-( :-( :-(

by Brien @, NWArkansas, Thursday, April 16, 2020, 17:59 (1442 days ago) @ JD

Will Rogers — 'If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.'

We are so very sorry for your loss.

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Thursday, April 16, 2020, 18:09 (1442 days ago) @ JD

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

by SIXGUNNER, Thursday, April 16, 2020, 18:45 (1442 days ago) @ JD

Not only do dogs go to heaven they do not have muddy feet nor do they shed! He just might be running around with my two malamutes right now.

by Frank S, Friday, April 17, 2020, 05:32 (1442 days ago) @ JD

This strikes close to home. We lost Kelly, our Lab rottie mix about a month ago.
I feel your pain and am so very sorry. God never cheated a more loyal friend than dogs.

Very sorry to see this.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Friday, April 17, 2020, 07:46 (1442 days ago) @ JD

We had to put one down last summer and I still think about it. A better friend can't be found.

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Friday, April 17, 2020, 08:05 (1442 days ago) @ JD

I know your pain, been there several times, I sympathize with you. The memories will remain as the pain of loss subsides.

by Paul ⌂, Friday, April 17, 2020, 10:52 (1442 days ago) @ JD

Putting down a dog is one of the hardest tasks we're ever called on to undertake. I had to put Burkha down six years ago. Still miss that fuzzy faced mutt. Over time the pain loses its sharp edge, but the gap left never gets filled this side of glory.

So sorry to hear it

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Sunday, April 19, 2020, 17:24 (1439 days ago) @ JD

I’ve only had to do it once so far and it was the hardest thing I think I’ve ever done. Dogs are amazing companions, and there is an even more special bond with a hunting dog. The things you go through with them in the field cannot be understood by those who haven’t experienced it.

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

RSS Feed of thread