It’s a keeper!

by stonewalrus, Saturday, February 15, 2020, 16:39 (1522 days ago)

The Model 69 Smith 44 magnum 5 shot is actually more pleasant to shoot with the special and moderate magnum (1000 fps 240 gr semi wadcutter) loads than my Security Six is with full magnum loads (158 gr Blazer) with side by side comparison, both my son and me. Wasn’t doing my best shooting due to my eye issues but considering, did ok. Ironically my best was with the light magnum loads - they were dead on too. Didn’t help that I grabbed an orange silhouette target and it has an orange front sight. IT’S A KEEPER!

It’s a keeper!

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Saturday, February 15, 2020, 17:45 (1522 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Great it worked out for you.

Thank you for impressions.

by guest, Sunday, February 16, 2020, 17:46 (1521 days ago) @ stonewalrus

44/45 debates are hair splitting exercises depending on gun, powder, power levels desired, etc, and no L-frame .45s being made as far as I know. I wanted to know what it was like to shoot one, and you answered that one perfectly, so thank you again, and congratulations. It may be my first newer style S&W.

Thank you for impressions.

by bj @, Sunday, February 16, 2020, 19:06 (1521 days ago) @ guest

Look at how thin the cylinder walls are in the 69 and 696 and you'll understand why it would be difficult to chamber in .45.

OTOH if the cylinder walls seem a bit thin, it should make a good candidate for .41mag.

Did not say they could, would or should make a .45.

by guest, Sunday, February 16, 2020, 19:12 (1521 days ago) @ bj

.44 is plenty in that size gun and point being in that size DA gun, .45s are few and far between.

by bj @, Sunday, February 16, 2020, 19:56 (1521 days ago) @ guest

I think a standard N-frame is a good size for .45 Colt. Taurus has made some revolvers in .45 and I've wondered how they compare size-wise but have not had a chance to do comparisons. There aren't very many DA revolvers in .45ACP or Colt, S&W and Taurus are the ones most likely to be smaller. Ruger has made different versions of the Redhawk in .45Colt and I've had interest in the 4" model, but it is not small or light. OTOH if you want to shoot 300+ grain bullets in it, you don't really want light. I believe Dan Wesson made revolvers in .45Colt but I have not seen any of those and they are likely to not be light either.

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Sunday, February 16, 2020, 20:41 (1521 days ago) @ bj

All of the smaller Taurus .45’s I have seen have been short barreled five shots. The barrels also have porting on them. I wish they would make them with an un-ported 3-4” barrel in either .45 acp or Colt. I’d be happy either way! I’m guessing they are comparable to an L frame Smith size-wise.

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

Take a look at the Charter Arms 45

by Frank S, Monday, February 17, 2020, 06:05 (1520 days ago) @ Slow Hand

Snub nosed 45 Colt or 45 ACP.

Take a look at the Charter Arms 45

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Monday, February 17, 2020, 08:17 (1520 days ago) @ Frank S

Oh yeah! I forgot about them. I was interested when they were first announced but never saw one in the flesh.

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

Frank, my copy was loose and weak, I traded it off quickly

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, February 20, 2020, 18:04 (1517 days ago) @ Frank S

I was not favorably impressed. My 30+ year old 3" 44 Bulldog is a smoother gun and it came to after being carried and shot a lot. The .45 Colt was NIB... Best in class in my experience is the Bridgeport made Stainless Bulldogs... Ruger's 3" GP100 in their 5x.44 format is a nice gun as well. If a fella wanted a small packin .45 a Ruger New Vaquero Montado is hard to beat. Smaller than the Charter Arms 45 and 6 rounds. My old Italian SA's in .45 colt were much better put together.[image][image][image]

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

I have an old Bulldog .44 Special and it is WAY

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Thursday, February 20, 2020, 18:45 (1517 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

better than the current Charter Pitbull .45 ACP, the trigger of which is poorly laid out and finished such that it is hard to avoid catching the tip with your trigger finger AND that sucker is SHARP. Actually peeled a bit of epidermis!

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Frank, my copy was loose and weak, I traded it off quickly

by Frank S, Saturday, February 22, 2020, 14:02 (1515 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Rob,
So far, my little bulldog has been completely serviceable.
I don't think I'd carry it for SD, but around the farm, with some CCI shot capsules and few lite loads behind a 255 SWC I find it easy to carry and doesn't get in the way. There are some sharp corners that I intend to remedy.
The trigger is as nice as. Could ask for in an inexpensive revolver

The ported barrel killed it for me with Taurus

by stonewalrus, Monday, February 17, 2020, 18:03 (1520 days ago) @ Slow Hand

Nm

Taurus revolvers jamming kills Taurus for me.

by guest, Monday, February 17, 2020, 19:26 (1520 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Have owned 4, several friends have owned them, and all save one (of mine) have jammed when shooting DA at a good clip, and the one of mine which did not jam was never attempted at good clip DA, as it was a .410.

Not very encouraging. Which is a shame as I would prefer their simpler lockwork over a Smith and Wesson, otherwise.

I have a Bulldog, but seeking something made a bit nicer and of likely better durability/reliability/comfort. Your new gun is welcome news.

Taurus Yeah... NO.

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, February 20, 2020, 18:07 (1517 days ago) @ guest

I had a steel version and one of their vaunted Titanium 45 colts... Not reliable plinkers let alone field or self defense guns...

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

I debated on a Smith in 45 acp but really didn’t want

by stonewalrus, Monday, February 17, 2020, 18:01 (1520 days ago) @ bj

Something as big as an N frame

RSS Feed of thread