Star BM9

by D.Sikes, Monday, January 13, 2020, 12:10 (1562 days ago)

I'm picking up a Star BM9 next month for about $200 ... I used to have a Star M30 and a Star M43, but not any of the earlier models....

So... what ya'll think of the Star BM9? Can it handle +p and or +p+ loads?

Star BM

by ~JM~, Monday, January 13, 2020, 16:22 (1562 days ago) @ D.Sikes

Star

by ~JM~, Monday, January 13, 2020, 17:24 (1562 days ago) @ ~JM~

Good info. Would also suggest

by guest, Tuesday, January 14, 2020, 10:22 (1561 days ago) @ ~JM~

doing a search on Spanish proof and their idea of 9mm test pressures both working and max, and compare that to our SAAMI for standard and +P. Will need to brush up on metric conversion. But, the only sure way to know what the gun meant to take.

And, as always, self loaders are weighted and sprung to give positive function with minimal battering in a narrow range of pressure, and going outside that will always accelerate wear and shock. A heavier spring might be used, but that only moves the shock the opposite direct to closing rather than opening.

Star BM9

by stonewalrus, Tuesday, January 14, 2020, 17:53 (1560 days ago) @ D.Sikes

I don’t think it has an inertia firing pin which makes it not safe to carry with a round chambered. Catoosa has a couple - I will tell him to check in.

Firing Pin Info...

by ~JM~, Tuesday, January 14, 2020, 19:40 (1560 days ago) @ stonewalrus

"...I have seen firing pin length vary enough in the Model BM pistols that some do have inertial pins while others do not. An inertial firing pin does not touch the primer with the hammer down (Condition Two) and resting against it. In other words, the firing pin is shorter than the firing pin channel and flies forward enough to fire the primer when struck by the hammer. A blow to the hammer resting on an inertial firing pin will not fire the chambered round. On a non-inertial firing pin (one that is longer than the channel), it will. To see which a particular Model BM has, take a flat and straight object and press the rear of the firing pin flush against the slide containing it. If the pin does not protrude at the breechface, it is inertial. If it does, it is not. While I do not subscribe to Condition Two carry, it should never be done with any pistol not having an inertial firing pin…including the Model BM. A blow to the hammer could cause the pistol to fire..."

Star BM9

by Catoosa, Tuesday, January 14, 2020, 23:11 (1560 days ago) @ D.Sikes

Negatory on the +P and most definitely on +P+. The BMs are fine little pistols but the slides are selectively (spot) hardened. They aren't up to hot 9mm loads. That said, with standard 9mm loads they are sweet little guns. I have three of them that I use for various purposes, including sometimes as carry guns. I do not know of a 9mm that is more comfortable to carry IWB, and all 3 of the ones I have are stone reliable and plenty accurate.

One thing you will need to do is replace the recoil spring. The majority of these guns are Guardia Civil trade-ins, and have seen lots of service. They are not worn out by any means even though some may look like it. A new recoil spring from Wolff will keep it running nicely. While you're at it, order a Colt 9mm magazine spring too. It will fit the BM magazine - a tad bit stronger than the original but I have not found that to be a problem. Magazines are not easy to find and not cheap when you do, but they are durable and can be easily rebuilt.

The biggest problem with the BMs are due to the fact that they have been out of production since the early 1990s and the company no longer exists, so spare parts are not to be had easily. That's the reason I wound up with three of them - liked the first one so much I bought two more to ensure that I had enough parts to keep one running as long as I might need it.

NEVER dry fire a BM - the firing pin will break and spares are almost unobtainable. Also, as already mentioned, some have inertia firing pins and some don't. Unless you are positive yours does, don't carry it with the hammer down on a live round. However, the manual safety is one of the best and most foolproof designs I have ever seen, and I have no problem carrying one cocked and locked.

Anyway, good luck with your new little friend. I predict you'll quickly learn to like it. If you have any more questions, holler at me. I ain't an expert at anything any more, but I have spent some time fooling around with these little poppers.

Catoosa

Thanks All...

by D.Sikes, Wednesday, January 15, 2020, 15:34 (1560 days ago) @ D.Sikes

Thank you one and all for your replies and advice...

I got hold of some of Paco's old articles and he really liked his Star Model B ... which is the full size one that the BM is based on...

with modern bullet technology, +p and +p+ pressures and velocities aren't "necessary" for good bullet performance...

at present, for 9mm guns, I only have a Walther "post-war" P-38 left... I used to have a Star M30, a Star M43, and a Sig Pro... I have a "itch" for older, sometimes "no longer produced" weapons... of "modern" 9mm's, I have personal experience with Beretta 92's (M9) and Sig 228's from when I was active duty USAF and the Sig Pro mentioned above... I'm an old 1911 sorta guy so I have a "bent" to what feels good in my hand and what I accurately shoot... the Star BM9 that I handled felt good in my hand and balanced well.. the "mechanics" are familiar and "hand memory" seems to work with it... it may be a welcome addition to my stable... at least the price factor seems decent...

I'm taking Catoosa's comments to heart (Thank You Catoosa)... this will be a "standard pressure" gun as is my Walther P-38... and I'll be researching parts to build up a "spare parts" inventory... I don't shoot as much as I used to so maybe this little piece will last a while... it'll go along side my Beretta 81 as a "curio" fun to shoot popper and occasional "carry gun"... at the moment my main "carry guns" are my 1911 Compact Commander in .45acp and a Taurus 605 (J-Frame size) snubby in .357mag... I'm not a fan of "striker" fired handguns so the Star BM9 may be an acceptable option...

So... again, Thank You all for your response and advice.

Don

RSS Feed of thread