Don't understand the mentality....

by Gunner @, St Louis, Saturday, November 23, 2019, 09:29 (1588 days ago)

Over the past month I have heard the following statements.......

1) I found this really cheap 9mm pistol, you think it would be a good CCW gun?

2) I don't want to pay for a holster, $30 to too much money, I will just shove it in my belt.

3) Yeah I just bought a new handgun for CCW, didn't shoot it, just loaded it and started carrying it.

4)Whats the cheapest AR15 out there, I don't want to spend a lot of money for a home defense rifle.

5)I found this really cheap, off brand 9mm ball ammo, it's good enough for CCW ammo.

WHY in your right mind would any of these statements make sense, I guess your life is worth a $5 box of ammo!! Just complete crazy thinking.

Some days I hate being known as the gun guy and have to hear these dumb statements, worse part is when I try to explain the proper thinking, reason etc for a good gun/ammo/holster I get these stupid looks from them. Good enough NEVER enters my thought process on this subject.

Gunner

--
https://www.instagram.com/41gunner/
41 Mags rule, Baers rock!

when money is tight, poorer folk shop carefully

by guest, Saturday, November 23, 2019, 11:31 (1588 days ago) @ Gunner

folk that are not shooters, but want some protection. And they look for cheapest, but reliable, and ask questions. I understand completely. Many have no place to even shoot without spending money they cannot spare.

As for cheap ammo, look to Winchester White Box 115gr JHP 9mm, which expands reliably even out of 3" barrels, meets FBI protocol in penetration, and actually faster than many others. Half the price of most boutique premium defense stuff, and twice the price of the same POI Winchester White Box 9mm FMJ practice ammo.

when money is tight, poorer folk shop carefully

by Gunner @, St Louis, Saturday, November 23, 2019, 21:46 (1587 days ago) @ guest

All 5 quotes came from people who have money, just didn't want to spend it. The guy with the cheap 9mm handgun has enough money to have a Cayman Island bank account, wants a handgun for protection but doesn't want to spend much money on it, would rather spend it on old stereo equipment that he buys and sells.

Gunner

--

You run with a different crowd than me,

by guest, Sunday, November 24, 2019, 09:03 (1587 days ago) @ Gunner

I hardly know a person who could afford a $1000 gun, and most would find $500 out of reach. I could offer most any nice thing I own for half price, and most could not afford it.

Don't understand the mentality....

by J.Michael @, peoples republic of new jersey, Saturday, November 23, 2019, 11:58 (1588 days ago) @ Gunner

I have been hearing this my entire life. I want a small 25 I'm getting the Raven it is just as small as the Beretta you recommended and cost a lot less. The other end of the hate talk is when someone asks you a question you give a well thought out answer and then all they want to do is argue why your wrong.

too many fake experts

by bj @, Saturday, November 23, 2019, 18:55 (1587 days ago) @ J.Michael

I've seen more fake experts in the firearms field than in any other area I've been exposed to. I don't have an explanation for this.

too many fake experts

by Gunner @, St Louis, Saturday, November 23, 2019, 21:49 (1587 days ago) @ bj

Gun store employees are the worse experts in any field I think. I heard one tell a female customer that a 2" Smith 38 special was only good for about 10 feet, after that it wouldn't do anything to the bad guy.

Gunner

--

CHEAP IS TOO EXPENSIVE WHEN IT COMES

by SIXGUNNER, Saturday, November 23, 2019, 17:18 (1587 days ago) @ Gunner

TO TIRES, BRAKES,PARACHUTES AND CCW.

At my CCW class there were 2 people with new in the box

by stonewalrus, Saturday, November 23, 2019, 18:49 (1587 days ago) @ Gunner

Unfired pistols. One of them was lucky, the other was jamming up.

by Gunner @, St Louis, Saturday, November 23, 2019, 21:50 (1587 days ago) @ stonewalrus

I had a woman in my CCW license class that never fired a gun in her life and wanted a CCW license to carry a Beretta 92 in her purse.

Gunner

--

by bj @, Monday, November 25, 2019, 20:31 (1585 days ago) @ Gunner

I heard a story from an instructor here- supposedly an older lady came in for the concealed carry class and they found out she had never fired a gun before. One of the instructors took her aside for some dry-firing training. They said she scored a perfect score on the shooting test.

I'VE OFTEN HEARD "CAN'T AFFORD IT" AND THEN ..

by SIXGUNNER, Sunday, November 24, 2019, 18:40 (1586 days ago) @ Gunner

WATCH THEM DRIVE OFF IN A NEW PICK-UP.(I DRIVE A '97 CHEVY 4X4) MANY FOLKS SMOKE AND/OR DRINK.( I DON'T) SO I HAVE $$$$ FOR REALLY IMPORTANT STUFF. THAT IS THEIR CHOICE BUT IT CONSUMES A LOT OF $$$. MY GRANDSON-IN-LAW QUITE TOBACCO ALMOST 2 YEARS AGO. I COULDN'T BELIEVE HOW MUCH MONEY HE SAVES. AFTER ONE YEAR TOBACCO FREE I GAVE HIM HIS CHOICE OF GUNS. HE GOT AN SP101 AND A M94AE .44 MAGNUM.

I'VE OFTEN HEARD "CAN'T AFFORD IT" AND THEN ..

by Jared, Monday, November 25, 2019, 22:05 (1585 days ago) @ SIXGUNNER

I haven’t had a truck payment since 2005 or early 2006. I have bought a lot of guns since then. It is all about priorities.

"I was warned to stop smoking...

by Mark Twain, Saturday, November 30, 2019, 12:10 (1581 days ago) @ SIXGUNNER

which I did, for two or three days, but it was too lonesome, and I have resumed — in a modified way — 4 smokes a day instead of 40. This will have a good effect. On the bank balance."

The era of cheap Chinese Crap

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Sunday, December 08, 2019, 10:36 (1573 days ago) @ Gunner

Over the last 2 and a half decades, the consumers of this nation have been programmed to buy cheap, then when it fails, throw it away and buy a new one. We are now at the point where it doesn't even have to fail, it just has to be a couple of years old. This mentality has carried over into every facet of our society, from airline tickets to guns&ammo. Most of the young people I work with would take a polymer pistol every day and twice on Sunday over an SAA or other well made single action.

Dave

RSS Feed of thread