Loads for an Astra in 45 Colt?

by stonewalrus, Sunday, November 03, 2019, 10:32 (1635 days ago)

I have a double action Astra revolver in 45 Colt. Actually a pretty nice shooting gun. I am wondering how warm I can load it, I know it isn’t a Ruger but they did make it in 44 magnum. Thinking something in the 900 to 1,000 fps range with 255 grain cast bullet.

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Sunday, November 03, 2019, 12:08 (1634 days ago) @ stonewalrus

As I recall the 44 mags did not hold up well with full mag loads...but that was some time ago. I would stick to the Colt level loads.

Been running a semi warm cowboy load - 8.5 grains of Unique

by stonewalrus, Sunday, November 03, 2019, 17:41 (1634 days ago) @ Cherokee

Fun shooter. Definitely don’t want to tear it up.

I think that's a good plan

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Thursday, November 14, 2019, 11:47 (1623 days ago) @ stonewalrus
edited by Sarge, Friday, November 15, 2019, 09:12

I don't have the figures at the moment, but when sorting out the Astra I measured the thickness of the cylinder at the bolt stop notches and compared that to data I could find on the Model 25-5 S&W. Astra must cut theirs a little deeper because mine measured .005-.009 thinner than comparable S&W cylinders at that location. Anyhow I decided Tier II loads were off the table and I'd limit it to 8.5 of Universal and the Lee 255RF mentioned in the article. Those ballistics are what cemented the 45 Colt's legacy and they are plenty for 95% of handgun chores.

And I'm glad to hear some of you still reading those articles, BTW.

A favorite nephew has that revolver now and it is chugging along fine on the 8.5 grain Universal load and standard 45 Colt factory loads.

Take care folks.

Thank you for the info, I made a dipper for 8.5 gr of Unique

by stonewalrus, Tuesday, November 19, 2019, 17:41 (1618 days ago) @ Sarge

That will work!

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Sunday, November 03, 2019, 12:11 (1634 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Now I'm curious. Sarge's comment...

by Paul ⌂, Monday, November 04, 2019, 13:10 (1633 days ago) @ Cherokee

about the "innovative mainspring seat which may be rotated to adjust mainspring tension" sounds like the system used in the PPPPPP Llama Cassidy. I'd be very interested in seeing a picture of the sideplate removed as well as the mainspring adjuster. I've never seen anything similar to the Cassidy's mechanism. It's got a very innovative hammer block system as well as the mainspring tension adjuster.

by stonewalrus, Tuesday, November 05, 2019, 21:35 (1632 days ago) @ Paul

It actually is under the grip. A big ring that you can pick different holes to hook the spring into. I will try to drag it out and get a picture in the next couple of days.

by Paul ⌂, Wednesday, November 06, 2019, 05:45 (1632 days ago) @ stonewalrus

I need to take some snaps of the PPPPPP as well. It sounds like the same type of system as the Llama Cassidy has.

To each their own, but...

by Charles, Monday, November 04, 2019, 12:34 (1633 days ago) @ stonewalrus

I have never seen any reason to turn a 45 Colt revolver into something it is not. The old factory load of about 850 fps will do anything a person needs to do with a revolver. I belong to the school that believes, if you want to drive a bigger nail, get a bigger hammer. I do realize that my thinking is out of step with many.

lots of considerations

by bj @, Monday, November 04, 2019, 19:48 (1633 days ago) @ Charles

The S&W 25-5 is on the same frame and cylinder size as the .44 mag, and there is debate as to the strength with hotrodded .45Colts. The Astra might be sufficient with .44mags but the .45Colt version could easily have different metallurgy. Just a few days ago I was reading an old Taffin article where he described 5 levels of .45Colt loads. The lowest level was attributed to Colt SAA and S&W 25-5. His level 1 load had 9 grains of Unique for 850fps. Another level 1 load had 18.5 grains of 2400 for 1160fps. These were 1988 loads- I can't remember if this was old Unique or new Unique. So your best bet might be to stick with SAA loads.

More curiosity than anything. I have been shooting 255 gr

by stonewalrus, Tuesday, November 05, 2019, 21:43 (1632 days ago) @ Charles

Cast with 8.5 grains of Unique. They shoot well and appear to be pretty accurate (as good as I can shoot anyway). Sounds like I need to just stick with that.

That's a good load.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Wednesday, November 06, 2019, 08:34 (1632 days ago) @ stonewalrus

I shoot a lot of that in multiple .45 Colts.

More curiosity than anything. I have been shooting 255 gr

by Charles, Wednesday, November 06, 2019, 13:51 (1631 days ago) @ stonewalrus

8.5/Unique or 6.5/Bullseye under your bullet will both duplicate factory level loads. I have shot thousands of the Unique loads, but have come to favor Bullseye in the past few years. No particular reason except it stretched the powder, a consideraton during the Obama years.

by Remington40x @, SE PA, Wednesday, November 06, 2019, 09:35 (1632 days ago) @ stonewalrus

I'm not an engineer nor an expert on metallurgy, but I do have some experience with Spanish side by side shotguns, including those manufactured by some of the more respected makers, some of whom are still active today.

There was a period when Spanish doubles were beautifully finished, but the heat treating, particularly of the working parts, was (to put it politely) inconsistent. The result was a gun that looked and handled beautifully, but wore very quickly, particularly important parts like sears and hammers.

Those problems seem to be resolved and I've heard little complaint about the quality of Spanish guns for the last 30 years. Nevertheless, I make it a practice not to try to hot rod the loads in any of my Spanish doubles and I treat them much more carefully than doubles from most other countries which I own.

All this is a long-winded way of saying that it's probably not a good idea to push older Spanish firearms of any type to the max. I'd treat the Astra as a nicely finished revolver with possible soft parts and try not to stress it excessively until I had evidence to the contrary.

RSS Feed of thread