I am off to South Dakota in the AM.

by Jhenry, Friday, June 08, 2012, 18:00 (4340 days ago)

Taking the crew to see Mount Rushmore, the Badlands, and assorted sights throughout the area. I plan to take a more circuitous route through Nebraska on the way back to visit the Museum of the Fur Trade and enjoy the Sand Hills. I am looking forward to it greatly.

You all be good now and don't fight.

Sit Paul and Byron in corners if need be to set an example.

I am off to South Dakota in the AM.

by cubrock, Friday, June 08, 2012, 20:06 (4340 days ago) @ Jhenry

Just took my boys to some of those places on the long way home from Denver a few weeks ago. The Badlands has to be seen to be believed. Saw Mt Rushmore and Custer State Park on the same day. WAY to much to see in one day. We wore ourselves out.

On the way there, we went through Nebraska and saw the Platte River Road Arch Museum. That was well worth the stop, too.

Have fun!

Don't forget to circle around to the north...

by Paul ⌂, Friday, June 08, 2012, 21:30 (4340 days ago) @ Jhenry

and view Rushmore from the Canadian side...

[image]

Ha!!

by Jhenry, Friday, June 08, 2012, 21:42 (4340 days ago) @ Paul

Ian the 13 year old got it right off and laughed. Eli the 11 year old giggled but had to be reassured that the president's behinds were not actually sculpted into the rock.

Makes me wonder how he got in the gifted program :-)

Serious answer

by cubrock, Friday, June 08, 2012, 22:48 (4340 days ago) @ Jhenry

Abstract thinking is not fully developed in a pre-teen. That is why younger kids have a much greater propensity to take things literally/be gullible than older youth. That part of the brain doesn't start finishing development until the teen years in most people. :)

Safe and enjoyable travels!

by BCodd, Friday, June 08, 2012, 23:01 (4340 days ago) @ Jhenry

Safe and enjoyable travels!

by Jhenry, Saturday, June 09, 2012, 06:55 (4340 days ago) @ BCodd

We will try, thank you. I have a green cancer wrist band on my rear view. I put it there to remind me to say a prayer every morning for young Dashiel. Best wishes for you as well Brian.

Missed your sendoff but safe travels Sir.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Monday, June 11, 2012, 04:14 (4338 days ago) @ Jhenry

It's these sort of things children will take with them forever.

RSS Feed of thread