Who is a slingshot aficionado here?

by Otony, Tuesday, October 08, 2019, 21:39 (1659 days ago)
edited by Otony, Tuesday, October 08, 2019, 22:06

I used one of the typical arm braced varieties in my late teens and early twenties, mostly as something to fool around with while camping or fishing. I’m pretty sure my ammo was all of the “found” variety, that is to say whatever was handy be it rocks, ball bearings, etc. Mostly of the etc variety to be sure. My level of accuracy was never very impressive as a result, plus I never truly applied myself. After that my interest dropped off considerably and that old catapult sat around until the rubber rotted off.

Here a few months ago my son expressed a desire to try out a slingshot, so I picked up a Dankung and a clone of the very popular Scout slingshot, both made in China. Cost for the pair was about 35 bucks. I also invested in a huge box of 3/8” clay balls, mostly because I was concerned with bounce back. Now the clay balls crumble on impact with hard objects, and knowing the stupid sh!t I did as a kid (okay, and yesterday too) I figured The Boy needed the safety factor. The fact that the balls are reasonable on the wallet may have influenced me as well.

Well friends, we are having a blast. Having consistent ammo has made a big difference in my accuracy, and has given Vinny a step up over the fumbling of my early years. The Dankung is a huge improvement over my old slingshot, even though it lacks an arm brace. It is an original design, not a Chinese knockoff of an American or European catapult. From what I gather, slingshots are hugely popular in China and if you go to AliExpress you will literally see thousands of offerings, along with all sorts of accessories. I’ve yet to find anything like the Dankung style made anywhere but Asia, which is sort of refreshing.

The Scout clone I bought is a knockoff, but I didn’t realize that at the time. It was my first introduction to shooting with flat bands instead of tubes, and is a great piece of kit. I joined a slingshot forum (slingshotforum.com) and very quickly realized that I had bought a ripoff of American intellectual property (thanks eBay, but Amazon is equally guilty), so in atonement I bought a real Scout LT. At 34 bucks it costs about twice what the Chinese clone does, but there is a fair improvement in quality. Still, the Chinese version works well, and if you are on a constrained budget you can make the moral decision for yourself.

So here we are, burning our way through thousands of clay ball (another Chinese innovation btw) and enjoying the heck out of ourselves. I recently bought a thick bamboo cutting board, and am going to use my scroll saw to cut out a couple of slingshots so we have a few more to play with. The forum I mentioned has over 150 templates available for download, and I’ve observed an incredible variety of styles made from a dizzying array of materials. All I can say is that it is a REALLY good thing that I channel my addictive personality into fishing and shooting sports, because in this case the affliction is relatively reasonable in expense!

Otony

I cannot hear "slingshot" without thinking of Rufus Hussey

by John K, Tuesday, October 08, 2019, 22:06 (1659 days ago) @ Otony

And the episode with Charles Kuralt. Couldnt find it, so here is a different interview. Also remember him on Carson.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9ieWrWLjii0

I cannot hear "slingshot" without thinking of Rufus Hussey

by Otony, Tuesday, October 08, 2019, 22:43 (1659 days ago) @ John K

I’ve watched those clips a couple of times over the years. He was very, very good.

Otony

I watched that episode when it aired

by cubrock, Sunday, October 13, 2019, 20:31 (1654 days ago) @ John K

Remember it well.

Reckon you already seen him, but THIS GUY....

by Caz, Wednesday, October 09, 2019, 10:57 (1658 days ago) @ Otony

Reckon you already seen him, but THIS GUY....

by Otony, Wednesday, October 09, 2019, 20:48 (1658 days ago) @ Caz

I had not seen him, but i have a slingshot from him (them?)

Otony

Slingshot?

by Charles, Wednesday, October 09, 2019, 13:27 (1658 days ago) @ Otony

I never had a "slingshot", but as a kid, we all had......oh well never mind.

flip.....

by Ray L., Wednesday, October 09, 2019, 17:19 (1658 days ago) @ Charles

when i was just a wee lad if you said "slingshot" you would be reminded that the proper nomenclature was "flip" and censured with a sunday school lesson on 1 samuel chapter 17.

now "flip" is politically incorrect and is thought to be derogatory towards filipinos.

Catapult, Catty, Cutty, Gutty, Beanflip, Shanghai, Resorta..

by Otony, Wednesday, October 09, 2019, 20:46 (1658 days ago) @ Charles

........Flip, Bean Shooter, Ging, Tirachina, Schlueder, Fionda, Gomero

Many different names, and I'm positive there are others.

Pretty sure we all have a clear idea what it is regardless of nomenclature. I for one would like to know what you called them in your youth.

Otony

Estilingue or baladera

by Paul ⌂, Wednesday, October 09, 2019, 22:44 (1658 days ago) @ Otony

Nothing but natural forks, usually from a thorn tree but the guava tree was also a good source. The original big earth moving equipment innertubes made the most powerful rubber bands. Then we found surgical tubing and even though it didn't last as long it was smoother to pull and fairly powerful.

Then there was the badogue (ba DOUGH gee), a combination slingshot/bow kind of a bow and rock setup, no arrows involved.

You asked for it

by Charles, Thursday, October 10, 2019, 11:39 (1657 days ago) @ Otony

All through the South, they were referred to as N*****Shooters.

Ah, I see your reluctance....

by Otony, Thursday, October 10, 2019, 14:12 (1657 days ago) @ Charles

......as a kid I used to hear bottle rockets called n..... chasers.

We can really be harsh to our fellow man, especially as kids.

Otony

that must have been......

by Ray L, Thursday, October 10, 2019, 17:54 (1657 days ago) @ Charles

before my time but I do remember both fiberboard sheathing and brasil nuts as "n" board and "n" toes.....

i still occasionally hear....

by Otony, Thursday, October 10, 2019, 18:14 (1657 days ago) @ Ray L

N***** toes. I first heard that when I was 4 or 5 years old. Can’t exactly relate what sort of thoughts that put in my little brain, but it wasn’t pretty.

Otony

Slingshot?

by E Sisk, Wednesday, October 09, 2019, 23:37 (1658 days ago) @ Charles

Yup!

Who is a slingshot aficionado here?

by J.Michael @, peoples republic of new jersey, Wednesday, October 09, 2019, 14:58 (1658 days ago) @ Otony

I have killed over 100 Squirrels with a Falcon 5 slingshot. But alas even they are illegal in NJ now.

Illegal in NJ, seriously? Jeez...

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Saturday, October 12, 2019, 21:27 (1655 days ago) @ J.Michael

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

NY too.. sorta

by cas, Sunday, October 13, 2019, 11:47 (1654 days ago) @ Hobie

Sling shots are legal, as long as they don't have a wrist brace. That somehow makes it a deadly weapon and a felony.

RSS Feed of thread