Form 4473 Part 2

by Creeker @, Hardwoods, Tuesday, August 20, 2019, 05:17 (1710 days ago)

The reason for the question is an online poll by our local newspaper. If you read this in your paper what would your reaction be????

Do you believe Congress should pass a bill that creates a background check for any and all commercial sales of guns?

Cast your digital ballot at register-herald.com Join the conversation at facebook.com/RegisterHerald/

Form 4473 Part 2

by Paul ⌂, Tuesday, August 20, 2019, 06:57 (1710 days ago) @ Creeker

The NICS system is a background check. Every sale through an FFL dealer has to call in to the NICS system prior to finalizing the sale. They call in the info on the person and usually it goes through. If someone has the same name and is a felon - you'll likely have to wait for them to sort it out and make sure it's not you before you can buy the gun. So they are wanting to know if there should be an existing law duplicated. Weird. OK. Ignorant. Folks have no clue about the multitudinous, duplicate, repetitive and ignored laws there already are on the books. Nor do they realize how often the government doesn't use the existing laws against existing felons, preferring to make new laws and new felons.

Form 4473 Part 2

by jgt, Tuesday, August 20, 2019, 07:31 (1710 days ago) @ Creeker

I believe background checks will only give the government information they can weaponize against people they deem "deplorables". They will do nothing to stop mass murder. Citizens defending themselves are the only way to stop mass murder. When seconds count, police are only minutes away.

Form 4473 Part 2

by Charles, Tuesday, August 20, 2019, 13:17 (1709 days ago) @ Creeker

Such a sale would eliminate all private sales of guns. The transfers would have to go through a FFL dealer.

The "universal" background check being spoken of by the progressives, would also force gifts and inherited guns to also go through a FFL dealer. It would totaly eliminate the private transfer of firearms.

Form 4473 Part 2

by ~JM~, Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 14:02 (1708 days ago) @ Charles

I believe Oregon has already done that.

Form 4473 Part 2

by Otony, Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 21:51 (1708 days ago) @ ~JM~
edited by Otony, Thursday, August 22, 2019, 03:57

Washington requires all private party transactions to go through an FFL, but still allows you to give a firearm to an immediate relative, mother, father, sister, brother, son, daughter. No paperwork necessary for that, but if grandad wants to give a grandkid a gun, it is an FFL transaction.

Makes perfect sense, no?

Otony

Form 4473 Part 2

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Thursday, August 22, 2019, 03:34 (1708 days ago) @ Otony

But without compete registration, they don’t know who has what or when they got it, and we all know where complete registration goes....

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

Simple.

by Paul ⌂, Thursday, August 22, 2019, 07:47 (1708 days ago) @ Otony

Grandpa hands the gun to his son and says, "This is yours - as long as you immediately give it to YOUR son." :-D

Simple.

by Otony, Thursday, August 22, 2019, 08:05 (1708 days ago) @ Paul

That has not escaped most people

Otony

Form 4473 Part 2

by CJM @, Tuesday, August 20, 2019, 21:02 (1709 days ago) @ Creeker

I believe the reason the 1968 gun bill didn't have the local private sales requirement is that it's not Constitutional for the Feds to control local sales - the Commerce Clause allows lots of Federal oversight but not of local commerce. Not sure how today's Supreme Court would rule on this issue but I don't believe the Constitution gives the Federal govt that power.

According to SCOTUS

by Charles, Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 12:36 (1708 days ago) @ CJM

Anything that has ever moved accross state lines, is subject to Federal regulation, as per the Commerce clause of the Constitution. Thusly a firearm that is made, sold and bought within the same state is not subject to Federal regulation. But the moment it crosses a state line...well you know the rest. The net result is very few firearms are not subjet to Federal regulation. I am not saying this is right, I am just saying this is the state of U.S. Constitutional law.

My reaction would be that the editors are idiots

by Miles ⌂, CIVITATES AMERICAE, Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 11:28 (1708 days ago) @ Creeker

Like Paul posted.
Every 'commercial sale' of a firearm already has had a background check of one manner or another performed since the Brady Law was passed back in the '90s.

The NICS check system made it possible for the check to be done very quickly.
Some states authorized those people with Concealed Carry permits that had a federal agency check as part of the issue process to by pass the NICS check since they already had basically the same thing dome.

The vast majority of 'news' people are ignoramuses of the 1st rank.

by Creeker @, Hardwoods, Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 17:22 (1708 days ago) @ Miles

I'm in that discussion with them now.;-)

They said is could have been worded better.

"it could have been worded better" Pfffffffppt

by Miles ⌂, CIVITATES AMERICAE, Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 21:05 (1708 days ago) @ Creeker

I'm rolling.

Ya Think Mister Editor?

by bj @, Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 20:07 (1708 days ago) @ Miles

I've been told that Texas performs continuous background checking on every person holding a license. IOW as soon as a report of improper activity was posted to a person't record officers would be at his door to collect his license.

nice to know that Texas DPS has such a surfeit

by Miles ⌂, CIVITATES AMERICAE, Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 21:14 (1708 days ago) @ bj

of Officers, if that's the case, that they can spend the man hours necessary to continually search all the records as well as patrol and run service calls and investigate crimes.

by jgt, Thursday, August 22, 2019, 05:20 (1708 days ago) @ Miles

Tench Coxe, one of the founding fathers and delegate to the Continental Congress when the Constitution was being written said: Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Before that he stated: Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves?
All of the measures proposed are infringing on our Second Amendment rights no matter how much lipstick they put on the pig. The '68 Gun Control act was adapted under the guise of controlling the ability of citizens to order guns through the mail. Their reason was they claimed Lee Harvey Oswald mail ordered his rifle and killed the President with it.

by Charles, Thursday, August 22, 2019, 16:15 (1707 days ago) @ jgt

Being alive and even a Law School grad, I remember when the GCA of 68 came into being and the circumstances that caused it. Kenedy was shot Nov. 22, 1963. What triggers the GCA of 1968 was the killings of Martin Luther King and Bobby Kenedy just a few months apart.

by jgt, Saturday, August 24, 2019, 06:37 (1706 days ago) @ Charles

The killing of Bobby and MLK was the straw that broke the camels back, but the fight started by them showing the picture of Oswald holding his rifle over and over on television and the narrative of how easy it was to mail order a cheap gun and kill someone, even the President. The fight was raging when the other two were killed and that's when the "see, I told you so!!" crowd won the fight.

RSS Feed of thread