Form 4473

by Creeker @, Hardwoods, Monday, August 19, 2019, 08:33 (1705 days ago)

We know what these are. We fill these out for firearm purchased from FFL Dealers. These are then "called in". Is this in fact a back round check?

Form 4473

by Otony, Monday, August 19, 2019, 08:49 (1705 days ago) @ Creeker
edited by Otony, Monday, August 19, 2019, 09:24

I’ve been working in a gun shop for over 6 years now. We have occasionally received a request to track down a firearm (maybe twice a year). In those cases, the FBI/BATF typically tell us a particular gun was shipped to us on such and such a date, and wants us to notify them of the information on the 4473. I would have to imagine it is in connection with that gun being used in a crime. Otherwise, those forms sit here in boxes and are never looked at.

In over 25 years of business, this shop has been audited by the BATF twice, once while I was working. In both cases, they did a daylong random sample of comparison between our filed 4473s and our “bound books”. No copies were made, none were taken.

This is not to say that other shops have had 4473s taken, just relaying our experience.

When the 4473 is “called in”, the only information that is relayed is that a person is buying a firearm, be it handgun, long gun, or “other”. We do not report brand, model or serial number during that check. That information is only recorded on the 4473, and is never relayed to BATF except as noted above.

Some states, Washington being one, have a separate form that records the sale of handguns, and that information is reported directly to local law enforcement and the State DOJ. Now THAT information is not filed with the BATF/FBI, but they certainly know how to get their hands on it.

Otony

Form 4473

by Otony, Monday, August 19, 2019, 08:58 (1705 days ago) @ Otony

Forgot to mention that as of July 1, 2019, the state of Washington also requires us to use a form to notify them of the make, model, and serial number of every semi-automatic rifle we sell. Sigh.....

Otony

Form 4473

by Creeker @, Hardwoods, Monday, August 19, 2019, 09:03 (1705 days ago) @ Otony

What I'm asking Tony is the call in considered a back round check?

Form 4473

by Otony, Monday, August 19, 2019, 09:12 (1705 days ago) @ Creeker

Well, I guess it is, but since they get zero information as to what you are buying, it only serves to see if there is a compelling reason as to whether the sale should be disapproved or not.

Otony

Form 4473, to add to that

by Otony, Monday, August 19, 2019, 09:22 (1705 days ago) @ Otony
edited by Otony, Monday, August 19, 2019, 19:02

The Feds may not have immediate access to mental health information that state authorities may/can see more readily.

On July 1, again this year, at the direct request of the FBI, the state of Washington discontinued the practice of same day handgun transfers to concealed weapon permit holders. Those transactions must now go through a state process by local law enforcement (along with the 4473) to determine the mental health status of the applicant. The same rule applies for semi-automatic rifles, with an attendant waiting period for both.

Otony

yes. NT

by straight answer, Monday, August 19, 2019, 17:36 (1705 days ago) @ Creeker

Form 4473

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 18:17 (1703 days ago) @ Creeker

We call it a background check because that is what it is. We used to call them in in VA but now MOST do it by computer and some have the computer direct submission by the customer. We have not gone to that due to the percentage of our customers who are not computer literate.

Forms 4473 are kept for the life of the business and then turned in to the feds who now digitally record each one.

Traces are done when requested. We are not told why. Experience tells us they were involved in some sort of criminal activity. I can tell you that I own a gun that was returned to the owner from whom it was stolen due to the trace. It still bears the NYC detective's "mark".

The background check only tells us that at that time you are not a prohibited person. Here, those denied are soon visited by law enforcement, i.e. a state trooper.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

/\ .....what he wrote

by Otony, Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 21:53 (1703 days ago) @ Hobie

Ayup!

Otony

Form 4473

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Thursday, August 22, 2019, 03:32 (1703 days ago) @ Hobie

I thought that 4473’s were kept for seven years then destroyed. Was that how it was and something has changed or was I mistaken?

I hav noticed most places doing the NICS check online now. Back in my younger days if you had a carry permit here in Indiana, that worked like a ‘pre-approval’ and allowed you to bypass the waiting period. That may have been pre-NICS, but I can’t say for certain.

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

Form 4473

by Otony, Thursday, August 22, 2019, 04:01 (1703 days ago) @ Slow Hand

4473s are kept forever. We have had requests for information on stuff that was well over 7 years old.

When I got my first FFL back in 1989, we were expected to keep them forever. Pretty sure it has been that way for a darn long time.

Otony

Form 4473

by jgt, Thursday, August 22, 2019, 05:36 (1703 days ago) @ Otony

The BATF and local police mostly do not have the skills and knowledge to deal with stolen gun accurately. Most do not realize guns made before 1968 were not required to have a serial number although most U.S. manufacturers by that time did serialize their products for guarantee purposes. Some numbers get washed out due to use and they guess at what that number actually is. Some also fail to enter the make and model of the gun or if its serial number denotes it is a duplicate. Therefore a 12gage shot gun may possibly have the same number as a turn of the century colt single action simply by the number manufactured at the time. This causes guns that are not stolen to be falsely flagged as being stolen. It does not happen every day, but does happen. Once is too many times in this kind of process.

Form 4473

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Friday, August 23, 2019, 03:55 (1702 days ago) @ jgt

I had an acquaintance get a visit from either local PD or possibly ATF, don’t recall now. He had a German Luger and the serial number had been reported stolen. Somehow they tracked the same serial number Luger to him. Thing was, during the war Germany, like us, had multiple manufacturers of various items. They marked them with a factory code, BYF, for example but used the same serial number runs. The pistol they were looking for had the same serial number but was from a different manufacturer. They took one look at his pistol and thanksed him for his time and left.

--

Form 4473

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Friday, August 23, 2019, 03:52 (1702 days ago) @ Otony

Seems I was mistaken. Thanks for clarifying.

--

Form 4473

by rla, Friday, August 23, 2019, 11:11 (1701 days ago) @ Otony

RSS Feed of thread