Good ol' fashioned sixguns

by Paul ⌂, Sunday, August 18, 2019, 18:51 (1705 days ago)

I've been re-reading mcumps' book on caplock pistols and revolvers, as well as applicable parts of Taffin's Sixguns, haven't broken out Keith's Sixguns yet, but two open at a time is plenty. Anyway, I've been cogitating a bit and am curious as to the current best source for a steel frame copy of the 1851 and 1860 Colt's revolvers. What are they selling for and who's got them in stock?

Dixie Gun Works is still a good source. I think Track of the

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Sunday, August 18, 2019, 20:58 (1705 days ago) @ Paul
edited by Hobie, Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 18:25

Wolf also carries some now and again. Taylor and Company, Cimmaron.

If I was to buy NIB I'd probably look at offerings from Navy Arms, Cimmaron, which I think are mostly Uberti (not Pedersoli). However it seems to me that Pedersoli lists some, are they also Uberti.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

by D. Sikes, Sunday, August 18, 2019, 21:11 (1705 days ago) @ Paul

most all cap-n-ball revolvers today come from one of two manufacturers.... either Pietta or Uberti ... Cimmaron gets most of theirs from Uberti.. and then "finishes" them at their facility in Texas... Taylor get's theirs from either Pietta or Uberti depending on the model... Uberti's are usually better finished interior wise but Pietta makes more "versions" of each model... for instance.. if you want a Colt 1851 in .44 rather than .36 of the originals.. then most likely it'll be a Pietta... I like the looks of a shorter barrel 1851 than a 1860... also I like the original style and length of the 1851 grip rather than the 1860 "longer" grip... so with that in mind I bought a Pietta 1851 "Marshall" ... which is a "fantasy" gun in that it is an engraved, in the raw (not blued), short barrel (5 inches rather than 7.5 of the original). I like the balance of it and it's in .44 ... however.. the Pietta grips are not shaped exactly like the original Colts... they are a little more "belled" at the bottom... Uberti grips are more like and size of the original Colts.

by SIXGUNNER, Monday, August 19, 2019, 17:18 (1704 days ago) @ Paul

I HAVE EXTENSIVE EXPERIENCE WITH C&B SIXGUNS FROM BOTH UBERTI AND PIETTA AND AT LEAST 100 EXAMPLES OF PATERSONS, WALKERS,TRANSTIION WALKERS,1ST,2ND,3RD MODEL DRAGOONS,1851 NAVY,1860 ARMY,1861 NAVY, 1848 AND 1849 POCKET PISTOLS, 1862 POCKET POLICE, REMINGTON .36 AND .44, ALSO ABOUT A DOZEN RUGER OLD ARMYS. I HAVE YET TO FIND ONE THAT WAS NOT A GOOD SHOOTER.

Blue ROA Cowboy 7.5"

by E Sisk, Sunday, September 15, 2019, 16:36 (1677 days ago) @ Paul

I have one in excellent condition if you are interested I can send pics.

Thanks...

by Paul ⌂, Sunday, September 15, 2019, 19:28 (1677 days ago) @ E Sisk

I've got a stainless ROA for "modern" blackpowder duty. Am contemplating picking up a reproduction on the Colt platform, 1851, 1860 or 1861, each of which has it's attractions. All I know for sure is that I want the steel frame, not the "confederate" bronze frame versions.

RSS Feed of thread