Any reliable data available comparing coated cast v lubed?

by Ellis R Sisk @, Monday, August 12, 2019, 00:49 (1713 days ago)

I see tests on the net, but there are too many variables in everything I've looked at. Not interested in any 25 or 50 yd tests. Looking for 75 or 100 yard comparisons. I finally broke down and picked up a NIB 7.5" Single Seven .327 (birthday). Loaded some Oregon Trail 115 gr. Shot a few rounds to get sights dialed in. Shot a 7 shot group 6 went into 1" square, I pulled one low center for 7 inside 1 1/2". Will to be experimenting to find a good easy shooting load with the intent of shooting short course practical hunter silhouettes (great practice for hunting). I've shot a few 40's with my FA 252 and Leupold 4X. I know that every gun is different, but I am trying to determine if coated bullets are worth adding to the accuracy experimentation mix.

by Charles, Monday, August 12, 2019, 10:57 (1712 days ago) @ Ellis R Sisk

I am a bullet luber and and not a buller coater, so take this with a grain of salt. Folks started to coat bullets as a time saver over lubricated bullets. Coating developed to be more labor intensive that lubricating. The coaters have all kind of asserted superior reasons for coating. side by side tests reveal that coated bullets can be just as accurated as lubricated bullets, but each method has it's downsides as well.

by jgt, Wednesday, August 14, 2019, 05:25 (1711 days ago) @ Charles

The only harmful coating I know of is harbor freight black. The red is no longer available and was their most popular. There are others, eastwood comes to mind and a fellow named "smoke" on the cast boolet forum sells some that is popular. Dick Thompson aka"sixshot" on the single action forum has stopped lubing his bullets and gone to powder coating all together. He has no ill effects and shoots some very nice groups. If you decide to do it, it can be done. Some love it, some see it as more bother than lube. I am neutral on the subject. Since I cast, swage, and at times paper patch; I have no pressing need.

by E Sisk, Thursday, August 15, 2019, 01:02 (1710 days ago) @ jgt

I am not going to DIY but might try others products. https://www.pinterest.com/ersisk0911/ruger-single-seven/

Powder Coating

by Mike P @, Monday, August 09, 2021, 15:00 (984 days ago) @ jgt

Hi -

I was recently retired and had gotten married and moved in the last 5 years so my reloading efforts took a beating.

Then the 2020 Plandemic hit. I had a lot of side work cuttin trees so more opportunities for a holster piece. Bought a Ruger Single Seven .327 Fed Mag.
Powder Coating seemed easy and I had an old toaster oven.

Long story short, I PC most boolets now. If I had a rifle to feed warm loads I might PC and lube, but it hasn't happened yet. So much easier to keep the dies running well and clean running PC.

Enjoy,

--
AKA zzr7ky

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Monday, August 12, 2019, 19:34 (1712 days ago) @ Ellis R Sisk

I've tried several HiTek 45 ACP bullets and never got accuracy comparable to quality cast bullets. I gave these guys a try and finally found a coated bullet that shoots as well as my best cast loads.

https://www.bearcreeksupplybullets.com/aboutourbullets

by jgt, Tuesday, August 13, 2019, 07:54 (1712 days ago) @ Ellis R Sisk

stay clear of Harbor Freight black for a coating. I have seen reports it contains aluminum oxide and will wear out a barrel.

I think I will stick with 'If it works don't fix it' cast

by ERSisk @, Tuesday, August 13, 2019, 15:16 (1711 days ago) @ Ellis R Sisk

and lubed. Going to check the 4.6 gr. Clay Dot load out to 100 yards next trip to the range. Will also load and bring some 4.2 gr. IMR Target and 10.0 gr, 10.5 gr., 11.0 gr. of IMR 4227 loads all with Oregon trail 115 gr RNFP. I see lots of 'New gun best load' research in my future.

RSS Feed of thread