Paging Charles

by bpjon, Friday, June 08, 2012, 09:10 (4341 days ago)

Some time back you posted a fairly simple recipe for beans in a crockpot, "Beans a la Charles". I tried it once and found it to be absolutely delicious. I'd like to try it again, unfortunately I can't find the recipe. Would you be kind enough to post it again?

Border Beans

by Charles, Sunday, June 10, 2012, 11:09 (4339 days ago) @ bpjon

Sure here tis

I lb of pinto beans (you can also use black beans)
1/2 lb of chopped bacon
1 chopped onion (I like the sweet yellow onions)
1 mashed or chopped clove of garlic
about a table spoon of oregano
some salt

Put is all in a crock pot on high to a couple of hours and then turn down to low and let it cook all night. That is all there is to it.

Border Beans Questions by a Novice Cook

by Drago, Sunday, June 10, 2012, 19:25 (4338 days ago) @ Charles

I've never made beans from scratch,Charles. Do the beans have to be soaked overnight or just straight from the package? Also should the bacon be cooked first, or raw?

I'm not Charles, nor do I play him on TV...

by Paul ⌂, Sunday, June 10, 2012, 22:18 (4338 days ago) @ Drago

but as for soaking beans overnight or not, it all depends. :-) Since you're doing them up in the crockpot, you can leave them cooking all night. If you were going to cook them in the pressure cooker then they usually work better presoaked. We never presoak our beans when doing them in the crockpot. Just make sure there is plenty of liquid. As for cooking the bacon first or not, either will work. I look forward to hearing how Charles does it. Me? I'd just toss it in raw. Beans need some oil in them for best flavor. You can get by with some kind of vegetable oil, but there's no substitute for pork fat for best flavor. I like to do something similar to his recipe, only I use a piece of smoked pork rib or some longaniza chopped up and tossed in raw - or fried first. I've done it both ways. When frying first I'll toss the grease into the beans along with the longaniza. We use black beans since they don't have pintos down here.

by Charles, Thursday, June 14, 2012, 11:11 (4335 days ago) @ Drago
edited by Charles, Thursday, June 14, 2012, 11:14

Rinse the beans with water, put them in the crockpot and that is that. Bacon is put in raw. The beans will swell up as they cook for the first few hours, so keep a watch on the water level and make certain the beans are covered. I put the beans on noon or miday on high and about sundown turn them to low for overnight cooking. I also add a fine choped small jalpeno, but that is not necessary. It it is a big pepper just use half or 1/3.

by Drago, Thursday, June 14, 2012, 12:54 (4335 days ago) @ Charles

Thank you sir.

RSS Feed of thread