Anyone remember my Mushroom Gun?

by Otony, Sunday, July 21, 2019, 22:43 (1712 days ago)

Way back in the late’90s or early 2000, somewhere thereabouts, I posted about a much modified H&R single shot shotgun I owned that I had reworked into a handy companion for woods walking. It had a shortened barrel, some sort of BIG bead front sight, and a friend humored me and took the time to inlet a patchbox so I could stow some matches and fishhooks. Turned out real nice, and was a dandy gun to tote around.

Well, we take to the hills each year for either ‘shrooms or huckleberries, so I figured something similar to pack would be a good idea. I always take either a Ruger Vaquero in .44 Special, or a GP100, but I thought a short shotty might be a comfort. This is the result....

Shortened the barrel to 19”, for an overall length of 35”. Added a fancy slip-on recoil pad (the brand escapes me, sigh). It had a synthetic buttstock when I received it, but I added the forend as it has storage capability for, oh, matches and fishhooks! Last, but not least, I installed an old MMC sight I’ve had laying around for better then 15 years. End result is a modernized version of my old Mushroom Gun, and one that isn’t likely to get sold off or traded away any time soon.

Otony

[image]

I remember that.

by Jared, Sunday, July 21, 2019, 22:57 (1712 days ago) @ Otony

The replacement looks useful.

by J.Michael @, peoples republic of new jersey, Monday, July 22, 2019, 11:33 (1711 days ago) @ Otony

Made something similar as a NJ truck gun. Took a 20GA H&R side break I paid a woopin $80.00 for with cleaning kit and case and had it cut to 21" and had Remington slugger sights welded on. Replaced the bead front sight with a green fiber optic. Hollowed out the fore arm and stock to reduce weight and cut the stock as short as to be use full. Shot Brenege slugs out of it and they would stack one on the other at 50 yds. It ended up on the farm permit rounds because it weighed nothing and shot great. First shot killed a deer. We were going out on the farm to a sand hill to sight it in and a deer stepped out and down it went. After a sight in session I think it went 13 for 13 before recording a miss. Still kicking around the farm somewhere but has not been used in years.

Ugly but useful shotguns

by Catoosa, Tuesday, July 23, 2019, 10:17 (1710 days ago) @ Otony

I've got one of the NEF "Survivor" 20 gauge single shots that serves the same function. I don't know why in the world they stopped making those things - it is one of the handiest and most useful "utility" firearms ever made, IMHO. Haven't seen another one for years.

Also have an old Hopkins & Allen 12 gauge that I had cut down to 24" many years ago. A couple of years ago I filed a rear sight out of a chunk of black nylon and JB'd it onto the barrel. Filed it in to put the little short Aguila 3/4 ounce slugs right on the front bead at 25 yards. Added a barrel band swivel and an old GI web sling. It looks like homemade hell but it seems to never miss what I shoot it at. With the slugs, a load of OO buck, and a couple loads of #6 in the buttstock pouch it sits by my garage door. Just part of livin' in the country.

Ugly but useful shotguns

by stonewalrus, Tuesday, July 30, 2019, 21:50 (1703 days ago) @ Catoosa

I inherited an unfired H&R long barrel 12 gauge. Wish the barrel were shorter but more trouble then it is worth to modify it.

I called mine the PCS gun...

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Thursday, July 25, 2019, 13:41 (1708 days ago) @ Otony

PCS Gun

[image]

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

I like that one.....

by Otony, Thursday, July 25, 2019, 22:52 (1708 days ago) @ Hobie

.....and happen to have a Lyman choke like that laying around. Hmmm?

Otony

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Thursday, July 25, 2019, 19:02 (1708 days ago) @ Otony

AK Church gifted me a similar shotgun several years back. It was a long barreled H&R that he’d cut down short and had threaded for choke tubes. It has a new bead installed. He also lengthened the forcing cone to help with patterns and reduce recoil. It’s one of those fun ones where it’s got more in smithing work than the gun cost! It has a synthetic buttstock and a wide fire end that is designed to hold a couple of extra shells. It has a simple nylon sling/carry strap. One of the best parts about it (other than the fact that a good friend gave it to me!) is the bag it’s in bits a tan ‘antenna bag’ from a place called county comm. It is very sturdy and has a built in shoulder strap. It has a dual zipper to open a flap wide for easy extraction. It also has a few pockets on both sides that I have loaded up with birdshot, buck and slugs. Somewhere I glommed onto a rifled, steel 12 ga to .45 acp adaptor. It’s in a pocket with a few 10 round stripper clips loaded with JHP and FMJ .45 ammo. It lives under the back seat of my truck. I haven’t shotnit in awhile and now I think it needs to come out and play next time I hit the range!

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

by Otony, Thursday, July 25, 2019, 22:50 (1708 days ago) @ Slow Hand

Lots of coincidences in your post! My first Mushroom gun was greatly influenced and encouraged by none other than AK Church hisownself! We exchanged many a message re: the details thereof.

And County Comm the business belongs to my cousin Nick Cassarino, along with his business partners!

I surely wish I hadn't lost track of ol' AK, he was definitely one of the good ones.

Otony

RSS Feed of thread